Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: living in DC and raising a family there  (Read 1658 times)

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
living in DC and raising a family there
« on: February 20, 2006, 06:21:50 PM »
Anyone live there?  Thoughts about DC?
Transportation? Food? Lifestyle (esp. for guy used to city living)? Homes?  Foreign films?  Parks?  Schools? anything?  

Roxy

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - diegopiranha
    • View Profile
Re: living in DC and raising a family there
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 06:45:45 PM »
I grew up outside DC, went away to school and explore for a bit, and came back two years ago. DC really can be a great place to live, just like any city, you have to be a little careful about some areas and it is a little expensive, but it can also be a great place to raise a family. The history, the museums, the center of the political world, etc., are great family activities and set a great backdrop for growing up.

However, the public schools in DC are, for the most part, horrendous. You can either pay for private school, live in the near-by suburbs in VA or MD, or there used to be some ways for DC residents to get into at least VA public schools, but I don't know if those loopholes have been closed, it's been a while since I was in school there!

Anyway, if you have specific questions, I'm happy to answer them... I remember what it was like to grow up in DC and know enough about other areas to be able to compare it well--and now see it through adult eyes :)

UVA '09

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 06:49:11 PM »
Oh yeah - schools.  I'll add that to the original post.  Thanks.

Roxy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 06:57:13 PM »
and there are lots of parks, even some decent places in the city... and there are some funky areas, including for films--the recently enhanced bethesda area in md has an AFI theater, and there are some other places that show more interesting, off-beat things (my father sees literally almost every movie released, mainstream or not, and he goes all over the place to these various theaters)... there is a lively arts scene, in general...not nyc or even SF, probably, but enough. The city is also amazingly small... and feels even smaller somehow because of the height of the buildings...no skyscrapers sort of makes everything feel on a different scale than nyc, chicago, etc.

Depending on how much of a city you like, it might seem small--I am not a  city person and I enjoy the city--the transportation is relatively easy, metro is alright, as long as you need to go somewhere it goes (and people on it are always in bad moods, but it's clean!)

anyway, I'm rambling... good luck!
UVA '09

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 07:33:43 PM »
It depends where you are coming from.  I have been here going on two years and I will definately be leaving after law school.  DC had NYC prices and not nearly half as much to offer for it. 
Attending GW in Fall '06

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 07:45:57 PM »
DC had NYC prices and not nearly half as much to offer for it. 

Wow, I honestly hadn't thoght of it that way...that actually puts everything in a lot of perspective for me!

I live in the D.C.-ish area currently, and I've been debating whether or not I want to stick around after law school, but that point, as far as I'm concerned, will pretty much send me packing back to Texas.

D.C. pluses-

Center of federal power, lots of "moving and shaking".
Good single's night life.
Lots of political and international contacts.

D.C. cons-
Everything else, not to mention exorbitantly high cost of living, INSANE traffic congestion, and an inexcusably high crime rate.
"Remove the chain, cause' that's off it!"

Acceptances: Georgetown ("off da' chain!")
That is all...

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 07:49:56 PM »
You hit it right on the head.  I love my Federal job, I look forward to law school here, but there is nothing that will keep me here after graduation.  I lived in NY and the traffic here is disgustingly worse.  Plus, the metro here quits running at MIDNIGHT on weekdays.  What kinda city is like that?  Going out on Thursday is a royal pain in the ass.  Not to mention the cab system here sucks.

My rant is done haha.

Attending GW in Fall '06

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 07:54:24 PM »
True, oh so very and horribly true...

And for OP, as far as raising a family here...
Unless you're making a LOT of money and are willing to put up with a lot more inconveniences for it than you would elsewhere in the country for the same amount of money, then forget it!

The crime rate alone here makes D.C., IMHO, a bad idea.
"Remove the chain, cause' that's off it!"

Acceptances: Georgetown ("off da' chain!")
That is all...

Roxy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 07:41:18 AM »
I agree with some things the negative postings have said, but I still say the DC AREA (maybe not DC proper) is a great place to grow up/raise a family. Though, as I had said originally, it's not a good place (in the city) for schools, unless you can afford private (and I'm a HUGE public school advocate, so that really pains me to say that). But, the close-in burbs, while still expensive, do allow for some good opportunities... it's not NY, I'll definitely give you that, and most of the other negatives expressed are definitely true (traffic being the worst... I live 13 miles from my office, which isn't even in the city, and it takes me 45 min--if I leave around 6:15 am, any later, over an hour).
UVA '09

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 07:57:17 AM »
Yeah, the suburbs are nice, but who wants to pay $650,000 for a split level home?  I personally think this area is a joke in terms of what you get vs. what you pay for.
Attending GW in Fall '06