Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Washington & Lee (vs. W&M, Vandy, Emory)  (Read 1444 times)

ljl3y

• View Profile
Washington & Lee (vs. W&M, Vandy, Emory)
« on: February 20, 2006, 09:08:14 AM »
Am I crazy?  W&L is really high on my list, it gives me the warm fuzzys.  I know it's in a small town, and I come from the south so I know how boring and stifling that can be.  I also know I can live for 3 yrs in a tiny southern town and love it just fine.

W&L pops up over and over on top 20 lists - it seems fairly national.  Does anyone know from a practical perspective if its as great a school as it appears to be?

My waitlist status at UVA has me thinking hard about choices in southern schools.  Help me! Compared to W&M, Vandy and Emory, how does W&L stack up?  Is Vandy a bit more national?

Thanks to you all - and good luck to everyone this cycle!
173/2.97
5 yrs WE NY Law Firm
Non-trad (2 sons)
C'ville-bound!

IN: VIRGINIA (off the WL)!!! Wisconsin($), W&L($), Fordham PT, Richmond($, w/d), UIUC($$, w/d), Cardozo($$, w/d), Miami (w/d), Hastings($, w/d)
OUT:Chicago, NYU, Columbia
WL: Michigan, Emory, Fordham FT, W&M, UT Austin, Vandy

LawyersGunnersnMoney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Washington & Lee (vs. W&M, Vandy, Emory)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 11:36:00 AM »
Vandy>>W&L>W&M~Emory

ty1228

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 12:56:13 PM »
1. Vandy
2. Emory -remember that this year's rankings are not indicative of their normal placement
3. W&L
4. W&M

ChlorasepticRelief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 01:05:27 PM »
I think Emory forgot to respond to part of the survey, or USNWR accidentally gave them a 0 on some category. Anyway, the schools had already been ranked, and USNWR didn't change the rankings even with the new data (re)submitted.

Heading to Indiana University, Bloomington

john83

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 01:26:24 PM »
i think vandy, W&L, emory, W&M personally.

naturally, since it's the top ranked school i've been admitted to so far, i'm a bit biased toward W&L. but i think that W&L offers great prospects nationally. it places very well in clerkships. one of the best outside the T14.

i don't think you're crazy for considering W&L. it's a great school.

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 01:30:59 PM »
I believe what happened with Emory is that the dean sent incorrect employment numbers, which is why the employment at grad was 60%.  Vandy is the most national of these schools, and I would place Emory about equal to W&L, with W&M 4th.  If you want to work in Richmond, or someplace near by, then you should go ahead and take W&L over Emory.

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 02:42:01 PM »
Vandy is certainly ranked higher than W&L, but I don't really know if it is enough of a difference to say that one school is more "national" than another.  It may very well be, depending upon the definition of "national," but I'm not sure its necessarily correct to say that the marginally higher rank means more "national" as a blanket proposition.  Part of it is that I don't know much about the demographics of Vandy's student body and where most of their students end up.  Vandy and W&L are both excellent schools.

I do disagree with the statement that Emory is more national than W&L.  Even with correct rankings, Emory has consistently been ranked marginally lower than W&L.  So, insofar as one thinks that Vandy is more national than W&L because it is ranked marginally higher, it stands to reason that W&L would be more national than Emory because of the higher ranking.  Even moving away from the rankings, my experience is that Emory is much more southeast based, especially Atlanta.  I met 0 summer associates from Emory in DC last summer, for example.  It is probably due largely in part to the fact that people that want to end up in Atlanta self-select Emory, the best school in Georgia.  It is beyond question that Emory places more people in ATL than does W&L, but I'm not sure you could even say it places better.  Most of my friends that wanted to be in Atlanta had no problem getting there from W&L, maybe because firms look to diversify their classes and there are just less people competing for the W&L spots. 

In any case, they are all very good schools, and I have a bit of a problem with people using the term "national" without any attempt to define it.  But you certainly are not "insane" to be very interested in W&L. 

rhythmbomb

• Sr. Citizen
  • ON WISCONSIN!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 02:55:25 PM »
I know this is an unscientific means of measure, but I have met two lawyers from Vanderbilt out here in Los Angeles and both of them are losers.  Not because they are poor (which doesn't make you a loser), but because they seemed of questionable character.  One was really a dirtbag and one doesn't even practice law anymore and works at a crappy desk job.  I'm sure they are unrepresentitive of both the law school and the university as a whole, but they have ruined Vandy's image for me personally.  Again, I don't need a bunch of Vandy hate mail, I'm not ripping the school- I'm sure it's great, I'm just saying they're what I think of whenever I think of Vandy. 
In: Penn St, UIUC, Kentucky, Pitt, Wisconsin, Arizona, Chapman, Wake Forest, Richmond, USD, Iowa

Waited: IU-B, Minnesota, UNC
Rejected: Virginia, Boalt, W&L, Wash-StL, W&M

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=rhythmbomb

ty1228

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 03:18:45 PM »
Perhaps the fact that those unrepresentative losers were able to obtain jobs in LA indicates the more national nature of Vanderbilt's law school.  Even the questionable ones are able to work in big markets.

rhythmbomb

• Sr. Citizen
  • ON WISCONSIN!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 03:23:32 PM »
Perhaps the fact that those unrepresentative losers were able to obtain jobs in LA indicates the more national nature of Vanderbilt's law school.  Even the questionable ones are able to work in big markets.

Nope.  Like I said one wasn't even practicing law, and the other was just barely.  The second answered an add to be my roommate (i'm a low-income undergrad).  He had just opened an office that he rented month-to month and couldn't tell me how long he could stay - it was very seedy.
In: Penn St, UIUC, Kentucky, Pitt, Wisconsin, Arizona, Chapman, Wake Forest, Richmond, USD, Iowa

Waited: IU-B, Minnesota, UNC
Rejected: Virginia, Boalt, W&L, Wash-StL, W&M

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=rhythmbomb