Law School Discussion

Media to attack Kerry's wife... again

jgruber

Re: Media to attack Kerry's wife... again
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 05:07:38 PM »
You convinced me.  Neither Teresa nor Laura is getting my vote.

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2004, 05:15:17 PM »

You do make some quite humorous comments; however, to simply blow off this subject is completely irresponsible.  The spouses of men of power have a much larger impact than you can imagine.  In the military this is very prevalent, in fact, it has been said before that the second most powerful person on an Air Force base is the Wing Commander's wife.

The first lady represents our country just as much as the President himself does, the demeanor they carry themselves with is very important.

jgruber

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2004, 05:17:22 PM »
You're entitled to your opinion, but you are assuming that the relationship is one in which the wife would have that influence. 

So based on assumptions and public image of candidates' wives you're going to cast your vote? 

You do make some quite humorous comments; however, to simply blow off this subject is completely irresponsible.  The spouses of men of power have a much larger impact than you can imagine.  In the military this is very prevalent, in fact, it has been said before that the second most powerful person on an Air Force base is the Wing Commander's wife.

The first lady represents our country just as much as the President himself does, the demeanor they carry themselves with is very important.

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2004, 05:26:55 PM »
You're entitled to your opinion, but you are assuming that the relationship is one in which the wife would have that influence. 

So based on assumptions and public image of candidates' wives you're going to cast your vote? 

Of course not, I will base my vote upon research I do myself and my personal beliefs; however, I will not in anyway ignore the actions of the Presidential candidate or their spouse.

jgruber

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2004, 05:28:30 PM »
OK.  I don't feel that the spouse should be a critical factor, but go for it.

So what happens when you are convinced the spouse is the best first lady that we could hope for but the candidate is much worse than the opposing candidate?

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2004, 05:32:10 PM »
OK.  I don't feel that the spouse should be a critical factor, but go for it.

So what happens when you are convinced the spouse is the best first lady that we could hope for but the candidate is much worse than the opposing candidate?

Well naturally the first lady isn't the priority person in this scenario.

jgruber

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2004, 05:33:40 PM »
So the spouse is of limited importance?

Not to be a real PITA -- even though I'm in a really bad mood now in case you haven't guessed -- but the spouse of the candidate is more of a target of criticism from the opposition than a support to the candidate.  Yes, no?

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2004, 05:38:51 PM »

Not to be a real PITA -- even though I'm in a really bad mood now in case you haven't guessed -- but the spouse of the candidate is more of a target of criticism from the opposition than a support to the candidate.  Yes, no?

The spouse is more a target for criticism if they put themselves in those positions, sure.  However, that is primarily because the mass media thrives on bad news.

Cheer up, you're a law student! ;D

jgruber

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2004, 05:41:54 PM »
Yeah, I am.  Except now I'm scared.

But to your point, you're right. Spouses of candidates can behave in a way that leaves them out of the limelight and avoids criticsim.

Now that I think about it, what does it tells us about a candidate when his/her spouse pushes into the limelight for good or bad.  What does it say about Kerry that she is creating a stir?  I suspect the answer it does not bode well.

So I've done 180 degree turn on this issue.  The wife does matter in this instance.

The spouse is more a target for criticism if they put themselves in those positions, sure.  However, that is primarily because the mass media thrives on bad news.

Cheer up, you're a law student! ;D

Bisquick

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2004, 05:48:22 PM »
If I were voting for a president based on their spouse... I would be out registering dead people to vote for Tim McGraw.