Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm slow, what is OCI?  (Read 685 times)

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
I'm slow, what is OCI?
« on: February 19, 2006, 09:18:25 PM »
What is OCI?   And how does the 1L summer job search work, in general?   Chances are that I will look for a public service/governmental job for that summer, but I might also be interested in seeing what firm life is like.   

Thanks in advance.
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

doode

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I'm slow, what is OCI?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 09:24:16 PM »
I'm slow too. Why is there a cell phone next to your post?

On Campus Interview :)  ?

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 09:51:19 PM »
Oh, I'm posting on my blackberry.

Mets will take the NL Pennant.

doode

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 09:52:16 PM »
Had a feeling, just didnt know they posed how you log on. I'm gonna try that :)

corky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 09:58:56 PM »
OCI stands for On Campus Interviews, which are where a majority of 2Ls get their summer offers.

Haha. Mannyduler, it looks like your avatar is sniffing around for the drink that mine is holding.
HLS '09

doode

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 10:00:40 PM »
dats what i said ... shesh... no respect

doode

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 10:02:49 PM »

Haha. Mannyduler, it looks like your avatar is sniffing around for the drink that mine is holding.

thats funny corky!!! i plan on changing mine SOON hopefully!

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 01:10:03 AM »
As for the 1L job search it goes something like this:  Everyoe applies for the same jobs, so you're competing with a bunch of really smart talented people for the limited jobs their are.  Also, even if you don't want to get paid and want to do public interest, don't expect that it will be easy to get a job. One PI employer told me she has 200 applicants for 6 unpaid internships.

IMO I have a pretty good resume and some fairly impressive work experience, but it is still rough out there. The only lesson I have learned from this whole demoralizing experience is that I should not have waited "all the way" until January before sending out resumes for the summer.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 01:58:01 AM »
Yes,
I'm working the networking circuit too. I'm not as much into spamming as my classmates are.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

incognito

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 10:51:34 AM »
I’ll add a few comments here based on my personal experience, at my school, given my career goals, so take it for what its worth….

Besides OCI and mass mailings, don’t forget about networking!

I did not do OCI or mass mailings. Instead I networked. I went to every function my school had that I could attend, went local bar association meetings on my own, and volunteered with legal groups (outside the school). I got to know and made friends with as many working lawyers as I could. And kept in contact with them on a regular basis. I handed out a total of six resumes/packets, and only to those that asked me for one. So far I have two positions I am considering. The best part about it was that none of these (as far as I know) were advertised positions, so I had little competation.

Matthies, your avatar freaks me out.
Duke 2009