Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hours Per Week as a First Year Associate  (Read 1874 times)

Luxor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Hours Per Week as a First Year Associate
« on: February 19, 2006, 01:07:30 AM »
Warning: extraordinarily detail-laden question: With a T14 degree, how difficult is it to obtain a job at a medium-sized firm that'll expect somewhere between 40 and 55 hours/week of work and offer a salary between 85 and 110K as a first year associate? 

Zoli

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hours Per Week as a First Year Associate
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 01:21:23 AM »
wow another genius question, hey luxor you got into a t14? Are you on a special olympics scholarship?  Maybe i'm not too bright, but how would a board that discusses stuff related to soon to be 1Ls going to answer this question?
"I say NO to drugs but they don't listen."

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 01:57:54 AM »
haha- this board gets meaner every day; and that is good for my entertainment purposes

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 01:58:27 AM »
Warning: extraordinarily detail-laden question: With a T14 degree, how difficult is it to obtain a job at a medium-sized firm that'll expect somewhere between 40 and 55 hours/week of work and offer a salary between 85 and 110K as a first year associate? 

Very very hard...finding a law job where you work between 40 and 55 hours a week is tough even if its gov't work (although you can do it with gov't work)....finding what you want which is basically a 9 to 5 job... that pays a six figure income to someone with zero experience....is unlikely at best...impossible at worst
HLS '09

Zoli

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 04:57:12 AM »
hey Luxor, next time you want to ask a question, you should have the following disclaimer "Warning: I'm an idiot, please keep that in mind when you're reading the following." 9-5 work/ 45-50 hrs/week as a lawyer?  How about I get you a job at my friend's carwash?  you could earn some tips on top of your wages.  then you could come back to this site and ask the soon to be 1Ls "hey guys, I've been working at this carwash for about 5 years, and I was wondering if that's enough experience to get a job working 45-55 hrs as a lawyer for a small to medium sized law firm?"

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 08:32:39 AM »
Zoli - take the attitude over to XOXO.

ACK!

• Sr. Citizen
  • RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 10:25:55 AM »
Zoli - take the attitude over to XOXO.

Yeah, seriously. What a jerk.  >:(

I'm guessing it's Dunson.
U Chi '09

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 10:39:07 AM »
Does anyone know anything about those "lifestyle" firms?

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 12:17:15 PM »
Does anyone know anything about those "lifestyle" firms?

A lifestyle firm is usually considered either a small (low pay) firm with 60-65 hrs/week, or a boutique firm with 60-65 hrs/week.  Both of these jobs will be under 100k (in most cases), unless you have some marketable skill that can aid you, for instance if you are doing IP law, you might be able to go to an IP boutique, and still swing 100k even with a 60/65 hr week
HLS '09

Zoli

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 12:21:10 PM »
hey bass I'm sorry if I sound like a jerk, but come on, look at what Luxor is asking for? Also, asking the wrong people.  How would soon to be 1Ls know the answer to that question, at best they could speculate.  I apologize for being a jerk but that's a stupid question, similar to the ones on the studying for the lsat section.  Also, look at what "thehardestpart" asked.  obviously there is reason why they recommend that you don't work, but "thp" had to ask soon to be 1L's the question, also some people may or may not be able to work, it would really depend on the individual.  I guess i'm a jerk, but I just think these kinds of issues are a waste of time, with no real objective response available.  Look if you got nothing to do with your time, and would like to increase the number of posts under your belt, then by all means, bring on the retarded questions.  Hell i'll even throw in some, "I know some LS require you to have a laptop, but I was thinking of taking down all my notes on construction paper, and using crayons, what do you guys think?"  I'm starting to wonder if "Thehardestpart" named himself that because the hardest part for him is forming a coherent thought.