Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hours Per Week as a First Year Associate  (Read 2004 times)

snikrep

Re: Hours Per Week as a First Year Associate
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2006, 01:30:00 AM »
A couple years at Cravath should fix anybody :P.

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2006, 01:31:02 AM »
The real question is what you want to do after Biglaw?  Whatever it is, just do it INSTEAD of biglaw ;)

For me, that would be a patent boutique with a good QOL or in-house.  I still don't get why you're going to LS rather than taking all those lucrative jobs you've been offered.

I don't care so much about the money...if I did I would definitely go into IB, work for 3 years, get an MBA, I've already taken the GMAT (800), go back work till I'm about 35-40, retire with 10-20 mil in the bank, and go sit on a beach somewhere...doesn't sound that bad now that I think about it...haha ;)

I'm much interested in doing something other than just making money...changing the world somehow, or at least the region, affecting lives and stuff...call me a dreamer  ;)

Wow. You are not nearly cynical enough.  If Toby ever comes to his senses and admits you, I'll have to fix that. ;)

haha, looking forward to it ;)

Never!

I'd want to work at Wachtell if I ever worked at one of those places anyhoo
HLS '09

corky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2006, 01:38:14 AM »
The real question is what you want to do after Biglaw?  Whatever it is, just do it INSTEAD of biglaw ;)

For me, that would be a patent boutique with a good QOL or in-house.  I still don't get why you're going to LS rather than taking all those lucrative jobs you've been offered.

I don't care so much about the money...if I did I would definitely go into IB, work for 3 years, get an MBA, I've already taken the GMAT (800), go back work till I'm about 35-40, retire with 10-20 mil in the bank, and go sit on a beach somewhere...doesn't sound that bad now that I think about it...haha ;)

I'm much interested in doing something other than just making money...changing the world somehow, or at least the region, affecting lives and stuff...call me a dreamer  ;)

Wow. You are not nearly cynical enough.  If Toby ever comes to his senses and admits you, I'll have to fix that. ;)

haha, looking forward to it ;)

Never!

I'd want to work at Wachtell if I ever worked at one of those places anyhoo

Don't worry, after a few months you'll be dead on the inside and won't be able to tell the difference between any of them.
HLS '09

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2006, 08:35:27 PM »
I'm much interested in doing something other than just making money...changing the world somehow, or at least the region, affecting lives and stuff...call me a dreamer  ;)

Hey that was my life goal and dream too! Then I realized that itís just not as easy as it used to be to do it on a large scale. So I choose law instead.

In the old days of the Cold War anyone could become a Dictator; say you hated Communism, the U.S. threw money at you, say you hated the West, the Soviets bankrolled you. Neither cared what you did to your own people so long as you stayed on their side.

The sky was the limit, you could affect the region as much as you wanted, cut down rainforest, grow poppies, violently put down insurrections, and be the democratically elected leader of your nation for life with 100% of the vote!

And talk about affecting peoples lives! Cronyism, bribery, kidnapping, tossing dissidents out helicopter doors and burning down villages.

Yep those were the days. Gone are the times of Papa Doc, Ida Amin, Augusto Pinochet and the other successful dictators of the 20th Century. With no more superpowers to play off each other itís now all unilateralism and UN Sanctions crap. The time of the totalitarian Dictator is over. I saw the writing on the wall.

So now Iíll have to just do it legally I guess.

such a shame too- i was really looking forward to having my own dictatorship

wunder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2006, 05:10:31 PM »
My firm would probably put you at about 55 hrs/week or so, and it pays well within your price range.  Think bigger cities in the midwest other than Chicago or Cleveland.  As a T14, you won't be able to waltz right in - you'll have to have the grades/personality etc. - but it's totally doable.