Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hours Per Week as a First Year Associate  (Read 2032 times)

corky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hours Per Week as a First Year Associate
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2006, 12:38:15 AM »
Does anyone know anything about those "lifestyle" firms?

A lifestyle firm is usually considered either a small (low pay) firm with 60-65 hrs/week, or a boutique firm with 60-65 hrs/week.  Both of these jobs will be under 100k (in most cases), unless you have some marketable skill that can aid you, for instance if you are doing IP law, you might be able to go to an IP boutique, and still swing 100k even with a 60/65 hr week

I know an associate at a Portland IP boutique who works an average of 50 hours a week, and the starting salary at that firm is $115k (which is good for the Portland market, lower COL).

You can definitely find these firms, but they will be in reasonable demand due to their lifestyle, and they will probably not be located in the big cities (I'm beginning to realize that the northeast is kind of a bubble, lol, leave and you might be amazed at how good life can be on the west coast!! :P).

I stand corrected then, and west coast shmest coast....

A lifestyle firm is usually considered either a small (low pay) firm with 60-65 hrs/week, or a boutique firm with 60-65 hrs/week.  Both of these jobs will be under 100k (in most cases), unless you have some marketable skill that can aid you, for instance if you are doing IP law, you might be able to go to an IP boutique, and still swing 100k even with a 60/65 hr week

I know an associate at a Portland IP boutique who works an average of 50 hours a week, and the starting salary at that firm is $115k (which is good for the Portland market, lower COL).

You can definitely find these firms, but they will be in reasonable demand due to their lifestyle, and they will probably not be located in the big cities (I'm beginning to realize that the northeast is kind of a bubble, lol, leave and you might be amazed at how good life can be on the west coast!! :P).

NYC Biglaw is going to eat me alive, isn't it?

Biglaw sucks...that is all :(

Very true, but having debt you cannot pay off sucks more.
HLS '09

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2006, 12:42:32 AM »

debt schmet!

Whats 200k over 30 years consolidated at lets say ohhh 6% interest....*thinking thinking thinking*

= 14,816 a year give or take...thats just a tad more than 1k a month!
HLS '09

corky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2006, 12:49:08 AM »

debt schmet!

Whats 200k over 30 years consolidated at lets say ohhh 6% interest....*thinking thinking thinking*

The thought of being in debt for 30 years horrifies me.  Plus, I'd have to be making a million a year before I though that over 14K a year was a small amount of money.
HLS '09

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2006, 12:51:10 AM »

debt schmet!

The thought of being in debt for 30 years horrifies me.  Plus, I'd have to be making a million a year before I though that over 14K a year was a small amount of money.

Think of it as a mortgage, only cheaper ;)
HLS '09

corky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2006, 12:59:16 AM »

debt schmet!

Well, now you've sold me :)
HLS '09

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2006, 01:00:04 AM »

debt schmet!

Well, now you've sold me :)

The real question is what you want to do after Biglaw?  Whatever it is, just do it INSTEAD of biglaw ;)
HLS '09

corky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2006, 01:02:21 AM »
The real question is what you want to do after Biglaw?  Whatever it is, just do it INSTEAD of biglaw ;)

For me, that would be a patent boutique with a good QOL or in-house.  I still don't get why you're going to LS rather than taking all those lucrative jobs you've been offered.
HLS '09

corky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2006, 01:05:07 AM »
I will owe over 200k with JD and grad debt when Im done. Plan A is land a big firm job or hit the lottery (I figure the odds are roughly about the same for either one).

In case that does not work, I have been actively pursuing plan B since law school started. I figure with the amount of booze I used to drink, coupled with the number of packs a day I currently smoke, factoring into the mix that fried food stuffs soaked in a vat of cheese and pizza form the only pillars of my food pyramid along with an utter lack of time for any form of exercise other than sleep, and the stress of law school and law work in general I will only have to pay back my loans for a max of 4-5 years before I stroke out and take a header into the carpet.

Either way I win, and stick it to the man!

HLS '09

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2006, 01:08:09 AM »

For me, that would be a patent boutique with a good QOL or in-house.  I still don't get why you're going to LS rather than taking all those lucrative jobs you've been offered.

I don't care so much about the money...if I did I would definitely go into IB, work for 3 years, get an MBA, I've already taken the GMAT (800), go back work till I'm about 35-40, retire with 10-20 mil in the bank, and go sit on a beach somewhere...doesn't sound that bad now that I think about it...haha ;)

I'm much interested in doing something other than just making money...changing the world somehow, or at least the region, affecting lives and stuff...call me a dreamer  ;)
HLS '09

corky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2006, 01:25:44 AM »

I don't care so much about the money...if I did I would definitely go into IB, work for 3 years, get an MBA, I've already taken the GMAT (800), go back work till I'm about 35-40, retire with 10-20 mil in the bank, and go sit on a beach somewhere...doesn't sound that bad now that I think about it...haha ;)

I'm much interested in doing something other than just making money...changing the world somehow, or at least the region, affecting lives and stuff...call me a dreamer  ;)

Wow. You are not nearly cynical enough.  If Toby ever comes to his senses and admits you, I'll have to fix that. ;)
HLS '09