Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hours Per Week as a First Year Associate  (Read 1986 times)

Luxor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hours Per Week as a First Year Associate
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 01:23:29 PM »
hey bass I'm sorry if I sound like a jerk, but come on, look at what Luxor is asking for? Also, asking the wrong people.  How would soon to be 1Ls know the answer to that question, at best they could speculate.  I apologize for being a jerk but that's a stupid question, similar to the ones on the studying for the lsat section.  Also, look at what "thehardestpart" asked.  obviously there is reason why they recommend that you don't work, but "thp" had to ask soon to be 1L's the question, also some people may or may not be able to work, it would really depend on the individual.  I guess i'm a jerk, but I just think these kinds of issues are a waste of time, with no real objective response available.  Look if you got nothing to do with your time, and would like to increase the number of posts under your belt, then by all means, bring on the retarded questions.  Hell i'll even throw in some, "I know some LS require you to have a laptop, but I was thinking of taking down all my notes on construction paper, and using crayons, what do you guys think?"  I'm starting to wonder if "Thehardestpart" named himself that because the hardest part for him is forming a coherent thought.

If asking such a question constitutes a waste of time, then I'm glad you've wasted a good five-ten minutes typing not one but three entirely unhelpful and churlish replies to my original post.  In fact, it's bewildering that you have so much free time on your hands to sh*t on people when doing so suggests nothing positive about your character.

Thanks to the people who did post helpful replies--I realize now that the question was a bit beyond the scope of this board, but I was indeed able to get answers, just as I expected.  Zoli, I don't know how long you've frequented this board, but there are plenty of people who post regularly who can answer such questions, and they did.   

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 02:48:27 PM »
some people may be able to offer links to other sources that could help answer his question

Zoli

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2006, 03:34:21 PM »
wow Luxor, churlish, bewildering, calm down Mark Twain. And did they really answer your question, aren't they basically speculating?? 
"I say NO to drugs but they don't listen."

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2006, 03:50:05 PM »
to be fair- most of this board's advice consists of speculation

Zoli

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2006, 09:08:59 PM »
yeah, so even if Luxor gets an answer to his question, it may not help him?
"I say NO to drugs but they don't listen."

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2006, 09:46:01 PM »

To be fair- all advice is speculation regardless of the place it comes from, no two peopleís lives are alike enough for it to be any other way.

i disagree.  speculation is based on inconclusive information; advice can be based on clear facts.

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2006, 11:27:21 PM »

To be fair- all advice is speculation regardless of the place it comes from, no two peopleís lives are alike enough for it to be any other way.

i disagree.  speculation is based on inconclusive information; advice can be based on clear facts.

While I agree to a point, I believe advice can never be given with 100% certainty enough to be called fact. Because each of us is different no two instances in which any opinion can be shared will be exactly the same for both parties. Example: How far is it to the airport? 8 miles (Thatís fact, but not advice). 25 minuets (thatís opinion, based upon ones individual experience, not universal fact). The vary nature of advice, in my mind, is that it can never be certain, because if it was it would be fact, not advice. If you do X then Y must result (imperative effect), is very different than; if you do X then Y should result (plausible effect). Hence there will always be uncertainty, thus a margin of speculation, anytime we attempt to use our opinion to advise another based upon our own or collective experiences.

good point; i can agree with that.

snikrep

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006, 12:24:06 AM »
Does anyone know anything about those "lifestyle" firms?

A lifestyle firm is usually considered either a small (low pay) firm with 60-65 hrs/week, or a boutique firm with 60-65 hrs/week.  Both of these jobs will be under 100k (in most cases), unless you have some marketable skill that can aid you, for instance if you are doing IP law, you might be able to go to an IP boutique, and still swing 100k even with a 60/65 hr week

I know an associate at a Portland IP boutique who works an average of 50 hours a week, and the starting salary at that firm is $115k (which is good for the Portland market, lower COL).

You can definitely find these firms, but they will be in reasonable demand due to their lifestyle, and they will probably not be located in the big cities (I'm beginning to realize that the northeast is kind of a bubble, lol, leave and you might be amazed at how good life can be on the west coast!! :P).

corky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006, 12:33:58 AM »

A lifestyle firm is usually considered either a small (low pay) firm with 60-65 hrs/week, or a boutique firm with 60-65 hrs/week.  Both of these jobs will be under 100k (in most cases), unless you have some marketable skill that can aid you, for instance if you are doing IP law, you might be able to go to an IP boutique, and still swing 100k even with a 60/65 hr week

I know an associate at a Portland IP boutique who works an average of 50 hours a week, and the starting salary at that firm is $115k (which is good for the Portland market, lower COL).

You can definitely find these firms, but they will be in reasonable demand due to their lifestyle, and they will probably not be located in the big cities (I'm beginning to realize that the northeast is kind of a bubble, lol, leave and you might be amazed at how good life can be on the west coast!! :P).

NYC Biglaw is going to eat me alive, isn't it?
HLS '09

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2006, 12:35:56 AM »

I stand corrected then, and west coast shmest coast....

NYC Biglaw is going to eat me alive, isn't it?

Biglaw sucks...that is all :(
HLS '09