Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would you play Devil's Advocate?  (Read 2605 times)

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
Re: Would you play Devil's Advocate?
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 03:24:31 AM »
All of you guys who said yes are going to hell.  :-X
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 03:14:38 PM »
Okay, I wouldn't take his case then. You still haven't said what his punishment would be if he lost.

What relevance would that have?

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2006, 04:16:50 PM »
Now that I think about it, Victor's hypothetical situation isn't that far off. As future attorneys, many some of you are going to be faced with moral and ethnical dilemmas where you will have to make a choice between what is right and what will put more money in your pockets. Out of curiosity how many of you will actually do what is right over your pay check? How important is having money versus going to bed with a clear conscious?
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

petitschoque

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2006, 06:59:58 PM »
Victor, is there any down side (other than shirking your moral duty) to defending the devil?

Your OP lists all the benefits but are there any consequences to taking the money and successfully defending the devil? (ex: divine retribution can take many forms: losing your soul, experiencing a series of personal tragedies that leave you a shell of your former self and unable to enjoy the money, subsequent misfortunes that cost more than the 10million being made and thus leave you in debt, a curse on those you love that heaps sorrow upon them for every joy you experience etc).

Would I be safe from retribution/related consequences?

doode

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2006, 09:31:19 PM »

Hmm… if there weren’t a devil (and I’m not saying there is) then people would all have a conscious that stopped them from all wrong doing and not that little guy on their shoulder telling them “NO”. So … if there were no devil (with his omnipresent influence) a lot of us (depending on area of practice) would ultimately have no job so getting the devil off scot-free might not be that bad.

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2006, 10:29:28 PM »
Victor, is there any down side (other than shirking your moral duty) to defending the devil?

Your OP lists all the benefits but are there any consequences to taking the money and successfully defending the devil? (ex: divine retribution can take many forms: losing your soul, experiencing a series of personal tragedies that leave you a shell of your former self and unable to enjoy the money, subsequent misfortunes that cost more than the 10million being made and thus leave you in debt, a curse on those you love that heaps sorrow upon them for every joy you experience etc).

Would I be safe from retribution/related consequences?

I cant say/predict what would happen. You will have to make your own conjectures.

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2006, 06:23:49 PM »
Okay, I wouldn't take his case then. You still haven't said what his punishment would be if he lost.

What relevance would that have?

Like I said earlier, if the devil's punishment were to be something that would take him out of operation, then the world would be better off if he lost the case. But if his punishment would only be something like a slap on the wrist, then I could do more good by taking his case and donating the money to churches. His potential punishment makes a big difference.

Well the punishment is unknown.

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006, 08:20:50 PM »
Lets say that your client was the devil. If you defend the devil you automatically win, which would mean you would be promoted to top partner at a firm making $10 million per year. The number of hours you work will be up to you. Thus, you could work only 20 hours a week and still make the same salary. You will get to have any chick/dude you want (that isnt with someone). You will live in a lovely loft at the Upper West Side and bathe with Fiji water and the finest toiletries. You'll wipe your azz with well-quilted 3-ply toilet paper that will leave your hinny smelling like a bushel of whine grapes.

Would you do it? State your answer in 500 words or less.

500 words or less. 

Yup.

Reasoning - after I win this one case I can drop the devil as my client and keep all the benefits and use them to do a lot of good.

Interesting.

I'll give Sands and mugatu credit for answering the question instead of dodging it like others did . . . YEAH YEAH I'M TALKIN TO YOU!!! *JUMPS OUT OF COMPUTER SCREEN* YOU SEE ME!!!

You can either answer the question now or 3 years from now. Its your choice, guys!

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006, 10:55:13 PM »
Lets say that your client was the devil. If you defend the devil you automatically win, which would mean you would be promoted to top partner at a firm making $10 million per year. The number of hours you work will be up to you. Thus, you could work only 20 hours a week and still make the same salary. You will get to have any chick/dude you want (that isnt with someone). You will live in a lovely loft at the Upper West Side and bathe with Fiji water and the finest toiletries. You'll wipe your azz with well-quilted 3-ply toilet paper that will leave your hinny smelling like a bushel of whine grapes.

Would you do it? State your answer in 500 words or less.

500 words or less. 

Yup.

Reasoning - after I win this one case I can drop the devil as my client and keep all the benefits and use them to do a lot of good.

Interesting.

I'll give Sands and mugatu credit for answering the question instead of dodging it like others did . . . YEAH YEAH I'M TALKIN TO YOU!!! *JUMPS OUT OF COMPUTER SCREEN* YOU SEE ME!!!

You can either answer the question now or 3 years from now. Its your choice, guys!

:D

Alright then, a staightforward answer. No.

No? Why not? You dont like a challenge?

Thats 10 million dollars per year right there, how do you turn it down? I'm sure you've helped out the devil other times in your life without knowing it. And they say, the devil you know is better than the one you dont know.

Quit being a wuss.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2006, 11:58:24 PM »
I'm pretty sure that INTENTIONALLY helping the devil get away with a crime qualifies you to go straight to hell son. As soon as you walked out of the courtroom you'd get hit with like 15 bolts of lightning. Jesus would swoop down, take your cash - and your girl - and you'd be left ass-out.

So in the end, tis better not to take the case.

If you believe in hell then you must also believe in forgiveness for our sins.  Not to hijack the thread but we are not condemned for any one sin, even one as crazy as taking the devil on as your client.

Seeing as how this happens in NYC every single day at every single law firm, there would be a lot of lawyers in the hot room....but then again maybe that's where they're supposed to be. :-\

Why are we going to law school again?
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston