• View Profile
Re: Would you play Devil's Advocate?
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2006, 09:16:04 PM »
oh right

petitschoque

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2006, 04:25:40 AM »
I wouldn't do it.

And funnily, the choice wouldn't even be a hard one.

1. I was raised on a steady diet of Nigerian movies and myths. Some of the crazy repercussions for greed I've seen and heard have left me very wary of opportunities that require me to compromise myself.

2. If money was my ultimate goal and I was willing to sacrifice all for a lucrative career then I am quite confident that I could make 10 million and more consequence-free. I am creative, industrious, and most importantly, patient. There aren't many goals I can't achieve if achievement relies on my personal effort (as opposed to someone else's whim or just luck).

3. Money isn't a big deal to me. If I can afford a nice car, nice home, raise my future children in comfort, and love my husband then I'm good. I don't need the best material goods. The hypothetical would be a lot more tempting if the reward for defending the devil was to become the most respected lawyer in the world and to have a place in history such that a certain time period couldn't be discussed without my revered name being mentioned with awe. I really am a prestige-whore at heart and there's no greater incentive than respect/recognition.

Victor

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2006, 07:48:52 AM »
I wouldn't do it.

And funnily, the choice wouldn't even be a hard one.

1. I was raised on a steady diet of Nigerian movies and myths. Some of the crazy repercussions for greed I've seen and heard have left me very wary of opportunities that require me to compromise myself.

2. If money was my ultimate goal and I was willing to sacrifice all for a lucrative career then I am quite confident that I could make 10 million and more consequence-free. I am creative, industrious, and most importantly, patient. There aren't many goals I can't achieve if achievement relies on my personal effort (as opposed to someone else's whim or just luck).

3. Money isn't a big deal to me. If I can afford a nice car, nice home, raise my future children in comfort, and love my husband then I'm good. I don't need the best material goods. The hypothetical would be a lot more tempting if the reward for defending the devil was to become the most respected lawyer in the world and to have a place in history such that a certain time period couldn't be discussed without my revered name being mentioned with awe. I really am a prestige-whore at heart and there's no greater incentive than respect/recognition.

Which tribe do you rep?

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2006, 07:59:51 AM »
I would do it in a second!!!!!

Victor

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2006, 08:18:19 AM »
Would you do it? State your answer in 500 words or less.

Yes.

Because of the 3-ply toilet paper huh? I know . . . I know . . . very tempting.

petitschoque

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2006, 10:16:24 AM »
Which tribe do you rep?

Proud Yoruba (Akure).

Victor

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2006, 11:31:25 AM »

petitschoque

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2006, 11:40:15 AM »

Victor

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2006, 08:11:18 AM »
Which tribe do you rep?

Proud Yoruba (Akure).

The sheer fact that I have absolutely no idea what this means leads me to believe that I should lurk around here more often.

Yoruba is a tribe in Nigeria. Ibo is another tribe.  :)

petitschoque

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2006, 02:54:02 PM »
Which tribe do you rep?

Proud Yoruba (Akure).

The sheer fact that I have absolutely no idea what this means leads me to believe that I should lurk around here more often.
:) As Victor mentioned, Yoruba is a tribe. Akure is the town my father is from and since the father's side is what the children are, that makes me also from Akure. I mentioned it because for other Nigerians, it sheds some additional light on who I am since there is considerable variation in mindset/dialect/lifestyle even within the same tribe.