Law School Discussion

Would you play Devil's Advocate?

Victor

• View Profile
Would you play Devil's Advocate?
« on: February 18, 2006, 03:45:50 PM »
Lets say that your client was the devil. If you defend the devil you automatically win, which would mean you would be promoted to top partner at a firm making $10 million per year. The number of hours you work will be up to you. Thus, you could work only 20 hours a week and still make the same salary. You will get to have any chick/dude you want (that isnt with someone). You will live in a lovely loft at the Upper West Side and bathe with Fiji water and the finest toiletries. You'll wipe your azz with well-quilted 3-ply toilet paper that will leave your hinny smelling like a bushel of wine grapes.

Would you do it? State your answer in 500 words or less.

doode

• View Profile
Re: Would you play Devil's Advocate?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 03:49:15 PM »
Oh boy. While its an interesting topic .. I have written enough essays (in 500 words or less.. 2 pages or less and 3 pages or less) for the next little while.

Will be interesting to read the posts tho...

(i'd defend him by the way -- dont know what he did/didnt do and no one REALLLY knows)

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 04:25:54 PM »
Since I don't recall anything that says that everything the devil does is de facto wrong, and since you have not stipulated that one would be defending the devil for doing something wrong, and since "wrong" is subjective anyway, yes.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 04:52:17 PM »
Lets say that your client was the devil. If you win the case that would mean you would be promoted to top partner at a law firm making $500,000 per year. You will have the hottest chick/dude in the world. You will live in a lovely loft at the Upper West Side and bathe with Fiji water and the finest toiletries. You'll wipe your azz with well-quilted 3-ply toilet paper that will leave your hinny smelling like a bushel of whine grapes.

A partner making only $500,000 in NYC??  What a gyp!

Last year partners in NYC made in surplus of 3.5 million per year.  2 million per year was the average. Up the anty and I'll think about it. ;)

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 05:21:16 PM »

Last year partners in NYC made in surplus of 3.5 million per year.  2 million per year was the average. Up the anty and I'll think about it. ;)

Ha.  I didn't even think about that!  I hereby change my answer to no.  Partners in secondary markets make more than that.

Lets say that your client was the devil. If you win the case that would mean you would be promoted to top partner at a law firm making $500,000 per year. You will have the hottest chick/dude in the world. You will live in a lovely loft at the Upper West Side and bathe with Fiji water and the finest toiletries. You'll wipe your azz with well-quilted 3-ply toilet paper that will leave your hinny smelling like a bushel of whine grapes.

Ok.

Changed it to 5 mill, son!

I think that's about average for highly leveraged NYC firms.  If you say a guaranteed $5mm plus bonus, then we might be talking.

Victor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 05:27:19 PM »

Ha.  I didn't even think about that!  I hereby change my answer to no.  Partners in secondary markets make more than that.

Ok.

Changed it to 5 mill, son!

I think that's about average for highly leveraged NYC firms.  If you say a guaranteed $5mm plus bonus, then we might be talking.

Ok how does 10 million sound?  :D

Victor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 05:30:20 PM »

(i'd defend him by the way -- dont know what he did/didnt do and no one REALLLY knows)

So youre saying knowing the crime may change your opinion?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 06:32:03 PM »
Lets say that your client was the devil. If you defend the devil you automatically win, which would mean you would be promoted to top partner at a firm making $10 million per year. The number of hours you work will be up to you. Thus, you could work only 20 hours a week and still make the same salary. You will get to have any chick/dude you want (that isnt with someone). You will live in a lovely loft at the Upper West Side and bathe with Fiji water and the finest toiletries. You'll wipe your azz with well-quilted 3-ply toilet paper that will leave your hinny smelling like a bushel of whine grapes.

500 words or less. 

Yup.

Reasoning - after I win this one case I can drop the devil as my client and keep all the benefits and use them to do a lot of good.

doode

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 07:06:11 PM »
Hmm Leo -- is that ethical? TO defend your client knowing you would do a crappy job>   ;D

Victor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 07:29:05 PM »
Lets say that your client was the devil. If you defend the devil you automatically win, which would mean you would be promoted to top partner at a firm making $10 million per year. The number of hours you work will be up to you. Thus, you could work only 20 hours a week and still make the same salary. You will get to have any chick/dude you want (that isnt with someone). You will live in a lovely loft at the Upper West Side and bathe with Fiji water and the finest toiletries. You'll wipe your azz with well-quilted 3-ply toilet paper that will leave your hinny smelling like a bushel of whine grapes.

What would be the devil's punishment if he were to lose this case? If, for example, he would get the death penalty if he lost, then more good can be done by not taking his case.

Scratch that. I WOULD take his case. I would then intentionally do a very bad job, and personally make sure that he lost.

Yeah but I said "If you defend the devil you automatically win."