Law School Discussion

Green Party - Hope or hopeless?

lime

Re: Green Party - Hope or hopeless?
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2004, 11:12:15 AM »
I agree.  The justification for the presidentail campaign is to raise issues.  I think that is counter productive because the poor chance that greens have of wining such a campaign.

"Counter-productive" may not be the right choice of words here, since the issues are at least being raised by their presence in the presidential campaign.

I know that they don't expect to win the white house.  I'm arguing that a presidential campaign is not worth the resources they are putting into it.

To me, it seems clear that they've decided that the primary task at hand is to generate momentum for their party. They appear intent on heightening their national profile, so it would make sense that their resources are devoted largely to the presidential race. That arena gives them the opportunity to espouse their ideas to the nation at a time when people are more likely to pay attention.

jgruber

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2004, 11:15:58 AM »
Which of the 10 key values of the Green Party do you see being raised in the national debate?
And I have to disagree that the Green Party is gaining momentum.  They were a minor third party in 2000 and they have less of an impact this year.

I agree.  The justification for the presidentail campaign is to raise issues.  I think that is counter productive because the poor chance that greens have of wining such a campaign.

"Counter-productive" may not be the right choice of words here, since the issues are at least being raised by their presence in the presidential campaign.

I know that they don't expect to win the white house.  I'm arguing that a presidential campaign is not worth the resources they are putting into it.

To me, it seems clear that they've decided that the primary task at hand is to generate momentum for their party. They appear intent on heightening their national profile, so it would make sense that their resources are devoted largely to the presidential race. That arena gives them the opportunity to espouse their ideas to the nation at a time when people are more likely to pay attention.

lime

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2004, 11:25:48 AM »
By no means was I trying to say that they were effectively gaining momentum, or remotely successful in getting their issues in front of the nation. But people are more likely to associate the idea of "third party" to the Greens. Even though they have even less of an impact this year, most voters know of Nader and the Green Party's effect on the last election. BTW if they were "a minor third party in 2000", who was the major third party? Maybe they feel the presidential campaigns are a necessary investment to become "a major third party."

jgruber

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2004, 11:48:16 AM »
OK.  But I think having Greens in Congress would advance the agenda better.

By no means was I trying to say that they were effectively gaining momentum, or remotely successful in getting their issues in front of the nation. But people are more likely to associate the idea of "third party" to the Greens. Even though they have even less of an impact this year, most voters know of Nader and the Green Party's effect on the last election. BTW if they were "a minor third party in 2000", who was the major third party? Maybe they feel the presidential campaigns are a necessary investment to become "a major third party."