Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Apology from Boalt  (Read 966 times)

nyy

Apology from Boalt
« on: February 18, 2006, 04:29:58 PM »
Anybody else get the email I received today?

It said the following:
"At approximately 3:00 p.m. California time last Friday, February, 17, an e-mail was generated and sent in error to a portion of our applicant pool.  The subject line was "You Are Cordially Invited…" and implied that the recipient had been admitted to Boalt Hall.  The body of this e-mail was an invitation to an annual event hosted by two of our graduates.  It was not an offer of admission."

I never received the invitation in the first place but I feel horrible for those who did. Anyone get the invite?

bizcochito

• View Profile
Re: Apology from Boalt
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 04:38:45 PM »
I received that e-mail!

I got an e-mail inviting me to the "newly admitted students of color" reception. I hadn't gotten any other e-mails before regarding admittance, and this e-mail congratulated me "once again" on my acceptance (but I hadn't gotten a phone call). I'm in Florida and I got this sometime around 9:00 p.m. I later received the retraction e-mail and then another which said the e-mail glitch was due to an error that happened during software training.

Yow.  ???
Accepted: nyeah
Waitlisted: Miami
Pending: Syracuse, St. Thomas, FSU, FIU

Pancho

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

alexdn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN:
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 09:46:55 PM »
I got it too!

now I don't even want to go to Boalt anymore, idiots...
Decision made: Harvard Law School '09 (or '10 if I defer)

pcv

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 10:42:59 PM »
I got the apology email too.

EXCEPT
I didn't even apply to Boalt.  I had requested a viewbook and gave them my email address when filling out the request, but never sent in an application.

Something is seriously messed up here...

lsatflunkie

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 11:56:38 PM »
wow- imagine someone thinking they were admitted and withdrawing from another school b/c they preferred this one- now that would be a great lawsuit!  ;D

jeb240

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 12:33:29 AM »
wow- imagine someone thinking they were admitted and withdrawing from another school b/c they preferred this one- now that would be a great lawsuit!  ;D

I don't think there would be any grounds for the lawsuit.  The email wasn't an acceptance, it just implied that an accepted had already been sent/received.  I have a feeling the person would be made to just look foolish, at the same time maybe Boalt would let them in, even though Boalt would win the suit, for publicity's sake.

lsatflunkie

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 08:22:19 AM »
Actually, on this thread http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,54571.0.html

it appeared as though people were being congratulated for being admitted.  So, if that was the case, I do think there would be grounds for a lawsuit.

doode

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 08:29:42 AM »
Yeah -- be involved in that and try to get into any school ...now that would be a miracle. They f'd up.... thank goodness there are human people looking at these applictions cause if not ... a lot of people would get automatic NO's and laughs for just submitting.

lsatflunkie

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 09:50:14 AM »
Yeah -- be involved in that and try to get into any school ...now that would be a miracle. They f'd up.... thank goodness there are human people looking at these applictions cause if not ... a lot of people would get automatic NO's and laughs for just submitting.

lol- i was kidding- but I would think that if one was suing a law school- for something such as this- another law school just might think of it as "more" for their school- ya know?