Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Not looking to start an online fight but …  (Read 22361 times)

redemption

Re: Not looking to start an online fight but …
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2006, 10:46:53 AM »
The "particular context about some issue that was being discussed" is what I am questioning. I did read the entire post. when is it good and ok to be derogatory about "whitey"? the quotes weren’t taken out of context – they were the context.

I’m not acting clueless, this is a topic of interest.

What are you doing? if you really want clarification, you're going about it in entirely the wrong way.

lsatflunkie

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2006, 01:14:32 PM »
I find the word "whitey" to be offensive- regardless if it's meant as a joke or not.  I also find the negative comments on this board about URM's to be offensive. 

I cannot speak for manny, but I think what she's stating is that it seems as though it's okay over there in a place that's meant to give "blacks" some of their own space to utilize such offensive words to describe those that they're separating themselves from-- I certainly wouldn't want anyone to use the n word- anyplace. As such, I would appreciate the "whitey" phrase be omitted from all content.

lsatflunkie

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2006, 01:25:16 PM »
Oh flunkie ... thank you thank you thank you for not being so PC!

You are exactly right. What’s good for the goose .....

you like my boobs more now?  :o

lsatflunkie

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2006, 01:30:30 PM »
ya know- i don't really like being called flunkie- lol- is there a way to change my name on here?

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2006, 02:13:08 PM »
I find the word "whitey" to be offensive- regardless if it's meant as a joke or not.  I also find the negative comments on this board about URM's to be offensive. 

I cannot speak for manny, but I think what she's stating is that it seems as though it's okay over there in a place that's meant to give "blacks" some of their own space to utilize such offensive words to describe those that they're separating themselves from-- I certainly wouldn't want anyone to use the n word- anyplace. As such, I would appreciate the "whitey" phrase be omitted from all content.

But how did she come to the conclusion that "it seems as though it's okay over there"?  The main page on BLSD has 1,670 pages to date.  With 15 posts per page, that amounts 25,050 posts..and that's just the main thread, there are 20 pages of threads on BLSD.  Manny did a search for "Whitey" and found 11 instances on BLSD.  11 instances out of more than 25,000 posts.  Would a reasonable person conclude that "whitey bashing" is what BLSD is all about? 
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2006, 02:23:22 PM »
Yes, I did a search with only the name "whitey" ... could be others .... I didnt ONLY pick the ones I found to quote ... there were PAGES of them. I selected the first 11!

BP -- why are you giving me such a hard time? I'm trying to have a legit conversation here. You dont think the derogatory name calling exists on the other side or are you arguing something else? Didn’t intent to go off on a tangent about this but... what are we arguing about here?

Actually, there were NOT pages of them.  I ran the same search and there were only 11 instances of the word being used.  Oh and update, there are 57,340 posts on BLSD to date ( I just checked the statistics), so that's 11 instances out of 57,340 posts.  It's not about giving you a hard time either.  It's about addressing assertions that I believe are inaccurate: the assertion that those quotes you listed are somehow indicative of the general mood on the BLSD board.  I am simply refuting this.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

lsatflunkie

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2006, 02:24:30 PM »
I certainly don't think that's what was meant by the references- again, I cannot speak for manny... this is my observation only...

The point is that one would figure that the purpose of such a board would be to give a space for those in that group to go- to be with those that are similar if they choose to do so.  I don't think the intentions of such a place were to have a place to vent or joke about "whiteys".  While I understand your point about only 11 instances- who knows how many other types of remarks using other types of words to condone the same meaning.

In any event, my point is that I find any type of racist remarks to be offensive- even if they're coming from those meant to offend.  I find it offensive for anyone to use such immature, useless diatribe to describe another human.

lsatflunkie

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2006, 02:32:38 PM »
Sorry, leo- but you have me confused with someone else.  I've never asked for anyone's perspective on this subject.   ;)

lsatflunkie

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2006, 02:34:30 PM »
sure use me and abuse me!  I sometimes like that!   ::)

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2006, 02:50:15 PM »
I certainly don't think that's what was meant by the references- again, I cannot speak for manny... this is my observation only...

The point is that one would figure that the purpose of such a board would be to give a space for those in that group to go- to be with those that are similar if they choose to do so.  I don't think the intentions of such a place were to have a place to vent or joke about "whiteys".  While I understand your point about only 11 instances- who knows how many other types of remarks using other types of words to condone the same meaning.

In any event, my point is that I find any type of racist remarks to be offensive- even if they're coming from those meant to offend.  I find it offensive for anyone to use such immature, useless diatribe to describe another human.

I don't think the intentions of such a place were to have a place to vent or joke about "whiteys".

Okay, so we agree on this.  That was never the intention when the board was conceived, nor has it become the reality.  This is my point. Anyhow, take care folks, I'm about to join Leo on the Black History Month thread (an entire month dedicated to black history  :o ;) )
-sorry couldn't help myself.  Hopefully you're right Leo, and that some progress was made. You guys be good.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006