Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Not looking to start an online fight but …  (Read 22371 times)

doode

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Not looking to start an online fight but …
« on: February 18, 2006, 02:18:11 PM »
Is it really necessary for “black students’ to have their own discussion board? We are all going through the same thing. Why do we perpetuate the obvious differences by continuing to segregate? Yes – minorities have a “one up” but sh*t, I’m working my a** off here. How come we don’t have a “white discussion board”?

The above bolded and underlined was unnecessary. The other parts of it -- totally necessary and meant. I could even read that today as a terrible way to communicate.

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Not looking to start an online fight but …
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 02:19:38 PM »
white or black, we can all discussion law school related stuff together.  No need for a separate forum.

veg

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 02:22:11 PM »
Wow. I'd delete that and FAST if you want to avoid being labeled as a troll.

Also, there used to be a really really long thread that HBCU.EDU started, called the black LS thread or something like that. Anyway, they asked Andrew (the owner of this site) if they could just have a child board of their own.

That's the same reason there's any specialty/child board around here. People ask for them, and they're granted.

Look, there's a whole child board for non-trads, too. Also Canadians, and high schoolers. I say it doesn't matter. They all have interests that are particular to their own groups. Who are we to say that's not fair?

veg

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 02:25:08 PM »
Well there's nothing stopping you from venturing over to that part of the board and posting. I'm sure you'll be welcomed just like you were to all the other parts of LSD.

lawstudent3

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 02:25:12 PM »

Also, there used to be a really really long thread that HBCU.EDU started, called the black LS thread or something like that. Anyway, they asked Andrew (the owner of this site) if they could just have a child board of their own.

That's the same reason there's any specialty/child board around here. People ask for them, and they're granted.

Look, there's a whole child board for non-trads, too. Also Canadians, and high schoolers. I say it doesn't matter. They all have interests that are particular to their own groups. Who are we to say that's not fair?

Seconded.

veg

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 02:33:39 PM »
A troll is someone that starts deliberately inciting threads. This one falls under that category.

Seconded.

YEAH! Seconded by a mod! ;D

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 02:48:50 PM »
How come we don’t have a “white discussion board”?

My answer to that question is similar to the answer I give ppl who ask why there is BET (black entertainment television) and no WET (White entertainment television) channel- because basically every other channel is "WET"!!  Now apply that argument to this board and you have your answer.

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 02:58:47 PM »
And to answer seriously there are some things in the process that are specific to certain groups.  And having such a board in place makes discussion about these things is much easier.  For example, the scholarships thread on BLSD.  Also, in terms of chances questions, which this site is often used and abused for, no one is going to have a better ideas of what it takes for a URM to get in (at least not on this board) than a URM who has already gotten in, so it makes it easier to get info like that as well.

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 03:08:29 PM »
Is it really necessary for “black students’ to have their own discussion board? We are all going through the same thing. Why do we perpetuate the obvious differences by continuing to segregate? Yes – minorities have a “one up” but sh*t, I’m working my a** off here. How come we don’t have a “white discussion board”?

As ptp explained, there's no "white discussion board" because this whole forum is practically a white discussion board.  Whether you understand it or not, minority students sometimes have very specific concerns, perspectives, and experiences that the majority may not be able to address well.  Having a forum for a specific group allows the disussion topics to be easily accessible.

You do realize that there is absolutely nothing prohibiting you from engaging in discussion in the black forum, right?  People of all races frequently post in both the general forums and the "Specific Groups" forums.  There is nothing exclusionary about it at all.

You claim to not be a troll, but between your avatar, the extraneous "I'm working my a** off here" comment, and the general content of your post, you kind of came across as such.

SkullTatt

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 03:17:57 PM »
At least black people have their own section. What do gay people have? Every gay thread gets taken over by str8 people flirting with each other...!

We need a new section called, "The Gay Bathroom."