Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Not looking to start an online fight but …  (Read 21609 times)

ScoopNY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Not looking to start an online fight but …
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2006, 03:33:21 PM »
So dont tell me that I dont understand what its like to be underprivileged and looked at funny in the street when I had to wear torn raggedy clothing as a kid. I'm not saying I incorporate this (clothing, hunger) to being black I am merely relating to being underprivileged.

Did anyone say here that you personally didn't know what oppression is about?

not all blacks are underprivileged and not all whites are privileged.

Not all blacks are underprivileged and that's entirely the difference between race and class. You can be a rich black man and still be subject to discrimination but the opposite is not true, rich white men do not get subject to discrimination. That's the difference between race and class.

And while not all whites are privileged black people are disproportionately at the lower end of the income threshold and that is because of discrimination.
In:Northwestern, Emory, Temple ($$), Wash. U($$), Michigan($$$)! Cornell
Out: Columbia
Wait: GULC, NYU.

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2006, 03:35:44 PM »
Instead of writing PS’s about the oppression and all that “we as a people have been through” how about standing up and being proud to be from a culture that is so deep and so rooted. The stuff I see on here is all about how there should be exclusive rights to minorities based on the simple fact that they are minorities. If a minority is the only label to which you carry I feel pity on you.

Who said we are't proud? Have you ever read a black law school applicant's Personal Statement? I'm willing to guess no, so how do you know what we write about?

No one is taking anything away from your experience of having grown up poor, so don't try to diminish our experience of being Black. I'm tired of these cotdamn "Oppression Olympics" where everyone tries to battle it out for who has it the worst. You don't cheapen one group's experience by recognizing the struggles of another. If nothing else, having grown up poor should make you more sensitive to how effed up it is to deal with something that you didn't choose that colors people's perceptions about you.

Die Luft der Freiheit weht

ScoopNY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2006, 03:38:02 PM »
If nothing else, having grown up poor should make you more sensitive to how effed up it is to deal with something that you didn't choose that colors people's perceptions about you.

Can I get an amen for this?

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2006, 03:44:17 PM »
Who you are as a person shouldn’t be representative of the color of your skin. Just like clothing.  But by continuing to want special privileges bc of your skin is the same as discriminating against whites for being white.

How in the world are you gonna compare clothing to skin color??

Yes, who you are as a person shouldn't be representative of the color of your skin, but you're forgetting your skin color has a major impact on how OTHERS will treat you, regardless of how you carry yourself.

ScoopNY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2006, 03:44:32 PM »
Who you are as a person shouldn’t be representative of the color of your skin. Just like clothing.  But by continuing to want special privileges bc of your skin is the same as discriminating against whites for being white.

Listen, it's perfectly fine to be against affirmative action. But it's not racism against whites. White people are not systemically excluded from law school, they are still the overwhelming majority. It's simply not true.

Lilacs04

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2006, 03:47:33 PM »

The reason why a White Student Law Board would be offensive is because no one who runs it would have any idea what it means to be white, because no one ever thinks like that and there's no such thing as a "shared white culture." There are white people who celebrate their ethnicity (Jews, Italians) or geography (New Englanders and Southerners) but not their sole whiteness, because it would require them to acknowledge the privileges
they receive solely because of the color of their skin and that quickly leads to racial supremacy. White folks rarely deconstruct the reason why whiteness exists because it's more of a manufactured concept than blackness. Anyone can be white as long as they have the skin. You can be a Russian fresh off the boat from Moscow and you can be as white as a 10th generation Southerner, but those two people would have no shared culture.

I actually just wanted to quote this because I think it's an interesting point. This may be somewhat unrelated to the ongoing discussion but I've always felt weird being lumped into the same category with so many different people of different ethnic backgrounds because we are all "white." It feels strange to check the same box on an application that some of the groups you mentioned would also check, even though we share no similar history. I mean, I get that we are all "white" for the purposes of AA but it sort of makes me uncomfortable that essentially Russian = Scottish = Spanish (from Spain) = German = Italian = British = white. Is that a little weird?

Also, ScoopNY, I too am left-handed! And I never got my left-handed desk for the LSAT, dammit. And my notes are smudgy, too.  ;)

ScoopNY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2006, 03:55:10 PM »
Are you saying that blacks are systematically excluded from law school? Cause if that IS the case then that is scary and society will NEVER get ahead that way. Ever.

Yup, I know.

Andromeda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2006, 04:02:57 PM »
Who you are as a person shouldn’t be representative of the color of your skin. Just like clothing.  But by continuing to want special privileges bc of your skin is the same as discriminating against whites for being white.

How in the world are you gonna compare clothing to skin color??
Yes, who you are as a person shouldn't be representative of the color of your skin, but you're forgetting your skin color has a major impact on how OTHERS will treat you, regardless of how you carry yourself.

I'm sorry, but the fact that Manny here tries to equate clothing to skin color, or being a latino or Asian to being black all make him come across as trollish. How can you tell me that becaue you were born as a poor white man, you should get the same treatment as blacks. WTF??? Even if you are wearing your raggedy clothes down the street, I bet someone might still stop and drop you a dollar. If you were black, that's when you get beat up and harrassed by the cops constantly. Trying to have a conversations with 'the dog' is futile, so much so I can't restrain myself to reply without appearing condescending. The much I can say for you Manny is this ...."GO EDUCATE YOURSELF". Getting high scores on the LSATs will not help you out of your ignorance.

He has made not a single point worth reading, and yet so many of you have remained civilized, and that is applaudable.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2006, 05:29:21 PM »
so, let's recap.

anyone?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2006, 05:37:34 PM »
nicely done.