Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Not looking to start an online fight but  (Read 22197 times)

lsatflunkie

Re: Not looking to start an online fight but
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2006, 09:13:45 PM »
I firmly agree with you regarding the white girl wanting to start a club and agree that it is racism itself.

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2006, 10:53:25 PM »
Pretty interesting thread.  I know it's been said a million times on this thread, but everyone is super-welcome to post on BLSD.  Feel free to stop in.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2006, 02:24:00 AM »
I'm still not getting how white people feel left out and want their own channels/movies/clubs. Seriously.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2006, 02:27:39 AM »
Wait ... it must be the fact that it is hard to meet other white people. It must be alienating to be white.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

redemption

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2006, 07:21:46 AM »
putz

redemption

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2006, 07:32:37 AM »
Now I'm going to have to wade back into this mess of a thread. You have given it respectability by your entry into it. Ugh.

redemption

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2006, 07:36:30 AM »
No way. JK. I was going to get back into it later today when i got back home anyway.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2006, 09:36:31 AM »
i should know better than to wade into this.  but eh, i'm bored.

so here's what i think about the whole BLSD/NAACP/(INSERT NAME OF ORANIZATION FOR BLACK PEOPLE HERE).

at this point i should add a disclaimer that i'm going to go ahead and use the term black unless this is really offensive to anyone.

people always say, why is it that black people can have their own clubs, history month, etc. etc., but white people can't?

i think it's because there's a different level of group cohesion that is acceptable for black people than there is for white people.  there IS a double standard, and for good reason.

group cohesion on the part of the white community is inherently more threatening than group cohesion on the part of the black community. 

think about it this way: if all the black people in the US got together and said, we are going to look after OUR interests first, how much harm can they cause white people?  now think about how much harm white people could cause black people it they all got together and said, we are going to look after OUR interests first.  i think that any reasonable individual would conclude the latter harm would be significantly greater, since they are the majority of the population, have most of the wealth, and control most of the institutions.

that's why group cohesion on the part of the black community is more acceptable than it is for the white community, because what it suggests is not nearly as worrying.  black group cohesion couldn't systematically exclude from all meaningful roles in society people who are not black.  white group cohesion could.

having said that, does this sort of group-think contradict in some way our liberal democratic ideals of empowering individuals as opposed to groups?  yes, i think it does.  in an ideal world where there was no racial discrimination or historical baggage, i don't think it should exist. 

unfortunately we don't live in that world. 

but really, this is just me rambling.  i apologize if anyone's offended.  i just thought i'd throw it out there.

This is the Credited Response!  Perhaps you have placed the seemingly ellusive concept of Majority/Minority into a simple language that everybody can easily understand.   Is this what you were looking for Snowbord?
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

veg

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2006, 09:41:28 AM »
eloquently stated, SW. :)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2006, 10:00:31 AM »
  i'm sure i'll get flamed for this, but in my god (assuming he/she exists) honest opinion, i feel like this country/society is bending over backwards and going out of their way to "make up" for 400 years of slavery and not really establishing all these "black" associations for the sake of integrating minorities into what is a caucasian dominated society (which will be refered to as "diversity" from here on out)...in other words, it's mainly to "make up" for slavery...i say this because it seems that few other minorities are included in society in this way...

As JayScoot and J. Gault have properly noted, this proposition implies so many things that it is almost impossible to being addressing it.  You might as well have asked what is the meaning of life.  We might be able to answer that sooner.

I just want to make sure I am understanding your proposition.  So if I'm hearing you correctly, in your honest opinion, you feel that approximately 40 years (approximately one generation) of governmentally initiated remedial race relation programs since the Civil Rights Act of 1965 is "bending over backwards" when compared to 400 years (approximately 10 generations) of governmentally initiated slavery and segregation codified in Article I of the U.S. Constitution?  40 is greater than 400?  Did you by any chance recieve your bachelor's degree in advanced mathematics?  I appologize in advance for the low blow, as its not my intention to be disprespectful.  I'm trying to meet this propopition on the level, but I'm finding it rather difficult and, to be honest, rather troubling.  Although I jest, I hope you see my point.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston