Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Not looking to start an online fight but  (Read 21725 times)

John Galt

Re: Not looking to start an online fight but
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2006, 09:50:35 PM »
BLSD is open to the entire board. It says something about the insecurity of the board as a whole if the majority isn't willing to freely engage (and with invitation, I might add) on some of the issues contained in BLSD.

I'm very glad you said that. It's interesting how many people who claim that others are perpetuating segregation make NO effort to assimilate themselves. Ending social segregation requires BOTH sides making an effort to get to know each other.

exactly

John Galt

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2006, 10:41:27 PM »
So, it seems we all agree on the same thing? No wonder formal hearing take so f"ing long.

I agree insofar as one recognizes that it is not Black people's responsibility to assimilate themselves at the expense of what is important to them. And that means BLSD should stay :)

But we should all try to interact and understand one another. A communication barrier or divide will only serve to perpetuate misunderstandings that are so common among us on this board in particular and society in general

gameswizard

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2006, 10:51:48 PM »
to me skin color should not matter we all want to be lawyers and all have an equal chance of becoming great ones

It reminds me of an article that one of the leading business magizines published entitled the 50 greatest women executives.  Is this celebrating women or saying that they need to be celebrated in a different manner altogether than men when they are equally as qualified.  you don't see a 50 greatest men in business article.  I mean I hate the glass celing but IMO even having it is discriminatory to women and just like BLSD works to further segregate our society. 

SkullTatt

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2006, 11:05:33 PM »
Well if black people have their own section, and gay people should..why not straight people? Why not republicans? Why not Christians?

It amazes me how everybody hates on segregation/discrimination until it is beneficial to them.

Either we are all the same, or we are all very different...there can really be no middle ground.

Homophobic.

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2006, 11:12:53 PM »
to me skin color should not matter we all want to be lawyers and all have an equal chance of becoming great ones

It reminds me of an article that one of the leading business magizines published entitled the 50 greatest women executives.  Is this celebrating women or saying that they need to be celebrated in a different manner altogether than men when they are equally as qualified.  you don't see a 50 greatest men in business article.  I mean I hate the glass celing but IMO even having it is discriminatory to women and just like BLSD works to further segregate our society. 

It's not so much that these women are not as qualified as their male counterparts -- it's the fact in spite of their qualification, there are usually much fewer women at the higher levels of business.

Now we can argue all day about other factors that contribute to this (such as "women tend not to want these positions in the first place"). The fact is, they are the minority and they have to overcome a lot of stereotypes and perceptions in order to rise through an organization. I've seen this first hand.

Affinity groups are an extremely useful component in ensuring that minority groups are given the tools to become successful in whatever field they are contending. For example, women can discuss some useful ways to manage a career and raising a family. And minorities can discuss some of the negative perceptions they face and how best to deal with that. Similarly, there are certain issues that are somewhat unique to the black community. The purpose of such groups is not to segregate -- on the contrary, they are to provide support. A group of people who share similar traits that you can come to for support and guidance. In addition to this, that group has had to go through the same things and are in a better position to relate to you and advise you.

Such support networks are very useful tools in motivating and empowering minorities because there DEFINITELY is a glass ceiling and it can be very difficult to break.
Who's your Daddy now?

veg

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2006, 10:17:22 AM »
Snoboard, I already answered the first paragraph of your post way back on the first page. I didn't read any further, though.
The BLSD was requested after a thread formed that became VERY long.
Others have addressed exactly what you're complaining about, too.

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2006, 12:58:01 PM »
why do we seemingly assume that the only minorities who have a different experience are black students?  if the board was made for those students who have a "different" experience than the majority, then why are the aforementioned groups seemingly excluded?

"We" don't assume anything.  If enough Asians, Hispanics, Indians, Middle Easterners, etc. wanted to make a separate board, I believe they certainly should.  I wouldn't feel excluded.  I was actually a member of several difference ethnic associations in college and never felt anything less than welcome and comfortable.  And I completely understood the purpose they served.

i'm sure i'll get flamed for this, but in my god (assuming he/she exists) honest opinion, i feel like this country/society is bending over backwards and going out of their way to "make up" for 400 years of slavery and not really establishing all these "black" associations for the sake of integrating minorities into what is a caucasian dominated society (which will be refered to as "diversity" from here on out)...in other words, it's mainly to "make up" for slavery...i say this because it seems that few other minorities are included in society in this way...

I'm too hungover to even begin on this one.  Sheesh...

and on a seperate note, a question for the african-americans here...how would you feel if, upon the establishment of this board, they included a "white law student discussion board?"  i mean, i really wish for an honest answer...if you had stumbled upon this site and it had a "white law student discussion board" as well as a "black law student discussion board" would you have assumed that the creators of the site are racist?  i ask this because i recall a few years ago a white girl tried to establish a white club at her high school and was immediately blasted by society for being racist and, if i remember correctly, was was not allowed to keep the club going for being "racist" even though she made it very clear that all races were welcome to join the club...i really want to know the honest opinion of the black members of this board...

I think this has already been addressed many times over.  How often is there really a need for an exclusionary "white" association?  Regardless, do you realize how many of these already exist without being officially discriminatory?  What is your opinion on such an association"?

cyberrev

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2006, 04:20:34 PM »
I've been reading this thread and will chime in:

I post on the BLSD board from time to time and feel no reason not to.  Many interesting threads come up on there about all kinds of stuff.  Race issues interest me.  Now, I may not be able to relate to many of the issues on a first-hand basis, but I can still contribute and learn.  Others should do the same.

It's not "segregation."  Just like the non-traditional students board, they share a common trait (in this case, race) that affects the admissions process whether we like it or not and whether it should or shouldn't.  Fact is, it does, and it will affect them for the remainder of their career.  There's nothing wrong with having a part of the board to discuss that.

seconded

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2006, 06:24:15 PM »
Please explain to me the purpose of this "white club".  If she is a minority within her school and there are some real issues that warrant the creation of a white club at her school, then maybe there is an admirable cause behind it.  

Otherwise, what is the catalyst behind this sort of drive for "white unity"?
In the past, it has been primarily:
1) To foster the ideas of segrationalists and those with feelings of white supremacy
2) To be exclusionary of other races
3) To make a general mockery of other ethnic organizations
4) To be incendiary

And if you want take it upon yourself to be an "third-party" defender of white America, refer to yourself a "chink, and make issue of "black privileges", then have fun with that.  At least you know you'll be on the winning side.

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2006, 06:43:38 PM »
Honestly, the reason I can't respond to your comment about America bending over backwards for black people to make up for slavery is that it would truly require a thesis just to begin the discussion.  That idea not only shows gross lack of awareness, it marginalizes real issues that black Americans face today.  I'm not trying to be dismissive, but I couldn't possibly do that statement justice, in terms of the dismantling it deserves, in a messageboard post.

Just understand that although I don't think you have bad intentions, I consider that a dishearteningly ignorant sentiment.  I guess I feel like people should be more enlightened than that by the time they get through college (between the numerous educational and real-world opportunities to illuminate oneself).

That being said, there are a few posters on this board who might be able to provide a worthy response.