UM
3 (75%)
UB
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 3

UM vs. UB

UM vs. UB
« on: February 17, 2006, 07:11:17 PM »
i have gotten into both UB and UM and am having trouble deciding which to attend.

what i like about UB is that its only 13k while miami is 23k, making it a difference of 20k/year, in 3 years thats 60k. i didnt not get a scholarship to miami so i would have to pay the full thing.

UM is rated 73 and UB is rated 77. how are their reputations in the northeast.  a lot of people i spoke with told me to go to miami, but not many ppl have heard of buffalo. i dont know.

i want to work in the northeast, probably in NYC or Boston.  Which would be a better school for me? any advice would be appreciated.

UM vs. UB
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 07:11:45 PM »
i have gotten into both UB and UM and am having trouble deciding which to attend.

what i like about UB is that its only 13k while miami is 23k, making it a difference of 20k/year, in 3 years thats 60k. i didnt not get a scholarship to miami so i would have to pay the full thing.

UM is rated 73 and UB is rated 77. how are their reputations in the northeast.  a lot of people i spoke with told me to go to miami, but not many ppl have heard of buffalo. i dont know.

i want to work in the northeast, probably in NYC or Boston.  Which would be a better school for me? any advice would be appreciated.

Kittyl30

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: UM vs. UB
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 07:34:41 PM »
I assume UM is miami..what is UB?

bobcat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 08:00:26 PM »
It seems that UB is University of Buffalo-SUNY.  It's tied for #77 on the rankings, plus oyavich mentioned the city of buffalo.  So I'm going on that assumption while I type my response.  If by UB he/she means... University of Bobcat, you can disrgard my response :D

From what I've heard, plus what USNews indicates, both Miami and Buffalo are very regional schools.  Miami places something like 86% of its grads in the "South Atlantic region" that includes Florida.  Buffalo places 84% of its grads in the region that includes New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.  Without a lot of extra legwork and effort, you'd be facing a real uphill battle to land a job in the Northeast as a Miami grad.  Plus, the cheap tuition at Buffalo, and 60k less in debt, sounds pretty good.  When you're looking at two similarly-ranked programs, factoring in the location and cost is a smart thing to do.  Unless you have some really compelling reason to go to UM, I would say that UB is your best bet right now.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 08:04:13 PM »
to clarify, UB = university at buffalo.. UM = University of Miami

by regional do u mean after UB, you can get a job in the northeast region, or just in the greater buffalo region

bobcat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 08:18:05 PM »
by regional do u mean after UB, you can get a job in the northeast region, or just in the greater buffalo region

That I don't know.  You'd want to talk to someone that has better placement statistics than I do.  I bet the school would have those.  I imagine that placement is best in the area right around Buffalo, but gets tougher as you go further and get to other cities that have law schools.  There are a lot of schools in New York City, and that means a lot of job seekers.  Still, I can only imagine that going to Miami will make it even harder.

Kittyl30

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 08:37:40 PM »
sorry i didnt read the whole thread, and i didtn feel like looking up US news rankings

I would pick miami b/c miami is a cooler to hang out at than buffalo..buffalo is snowy and boring

i know that sounds like a ditzy answer..but in all seriousness location wise miami is much more appealing

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 10:01:13 AM »
I attended one of the UB open houses last year, and got the impression that they do place well in New York City, but I feared they do not place well in many other cities.  But that is just my impression- no real statistics to go on.  Good luck!

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 11:07:12 PM »
If you go to Miami you'll work in Miami.  If you go to Buffalo you'll work in Buffalo (not the "northeast," just Buffalo).  It's that simple.

There are grads from both schools working in NYC.  They are extreme exceptions.

Buffalo is less risk but also less reward.  Average salaries in Buffalo are rather low compared to just about anywhere else in the country.  Of course, the cost of living in Buffalo is also low.

This is about where you want to live and how much of a risk you want to take.  Both schools do fine in their respective markets.  Just like at any other similar school, you'll have to bust your ass to get a good job.

Buffalo is more dominant in Buffalo than Miami is in Miami.  The Buffalo economy isn't very good, though, and the legal market there is really small.

Where in the northeast do you want to live?  Do you consider Buffalo the northeast?  Trying to compete in NYC coming from a T2 school is like asking for an asskicking.  If you got into Buffalo and Miami, maybe you could get in a T2 that places well in a secondary northeastern market:  Temple or Villanova (Philadelphia); Rutgers Newark (NJ); Northeastern (Boston)...

If you want to live in Florida after all but are worried about the cost of UM, you might want to consider if your numbers are good enough for Florida State next cycle.  FSU is a distant third to UF and UM in Miami, but it seems like it's well respected there.  Public tuition in Florida is really cheap, even cheaper than UB (in-state vs. in-state).