Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wake Forest Fletcher Scholarship  (Read 959 times)

allthatjazz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Wake Forest Fletcher Scholarship
« on: February 17, 2006, 07:35:36 PM »
Does anyone know anything about the Fletcher scholarship at WF?  I received an email inviting me to attend the competition for it, and I am trying to gauge how stiff the competition might be.  Has anyone else been invited to attend or know anything about it?

Thanks,

AllThatJazz
What is history but a fable agreed upon?

UVa class of 09.

BrianD

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wake Forest Fletcher Scholarship
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 09:54:16 PM »
When did you go complete and then receive your acceptance? I assumed that I'd have heard something by now after going complete in December but haven't heard a peep.

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 11:17:53 PM »
Whats your stats?

The Fin Aid lady at WFU told me they bring everyone down with a full tuition scholarship to compete for an additional stipend. Not sure if that's what you are talking about or not.
Paradiso: Vanderbilt ($$), UNC ($$), Wake Forest ($$$$), William & Mary ($$)
Purgatorio: Duke (WL), Northwestern (WL)
Inferno: Texas, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Virginia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0506&user=sdevante

allthatjazz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 11:29:41 PM »
168/3.91

The email read in part:

"There are two Fletcher Scholarships awarded in each class, and recipients of this prestigious award receive an amount equal to full tuition plus a stipend and textbooks.  The scholarship competition consists of a personal interview by the Scholarship Committee."

So I think this may be a separate deal from what you are talking about Stephon. 

The email also indicated that I would be considered for other merit based scholarships even if I do not win the competition.  Does anyone else know anything about the competition or the numbers involved?

UVa class of 09.

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 12:15:36 AM »
Well from the sounds of it, combined with what the Fin Aid lady said, it sounds like you already have a full tuition scholarship...

She said that the competition was for the additional stipend, and that everyone invited already has full tuition...

If so.. Congrats!

allthatjazz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 08:44:18 AM »
Here is basically what the email contained (minus the contact information):

Congratulations.  Based on your outstanding academic record and personal achievements, you have been selected to attend the Wake Forest Annual Scholarship Competition to compete for the Fletcher Scholarship.  There are two Fletcher Scholarships awarded in each class, and recipients of this prestigious award receive an amount equal to full tuition plus a stipend and textbooks.  The scholarship competition consists of a personal interview by the Scholarship Committee.  The competition is Monday, March 20.  Interviews will begin at 8:00 a.m. and generally last 15-20 minutes.  You will attend a luncheon at noon, tour the Worrell Professional Center, attend a class and meet with student leaders and enrolled Fletcher Scholars.

In addition to the Fletcher Scholarship, you will also be considered for other merit based scholarships ranging in value up to full tuition for the three year Juris Doctor program.

If you are unable to attend the Fletcher Competition, it in no way will affect your being considered for merit based scholarships. Merit Scholars will have until April 1 to notify us of acceptance of an award.  I look forward to seeing you on Fletcher Day!

So, I am still not sure if this means I have a full tuition scholarship.  I read it to say that it (the email) only deals specifically with the Fletcher and that I am still in the running for other scholarships, which have yet to be decided.

UVa class of 09.

magnumalv

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 04:29:27 PM »
no idea, but i've been given the impression that wake is fairly generous with their $$

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 05:39:21 PM »
It seems as if they have a lot of money to give away, but no one has received any ....

Fin Aid lady said Feb - March is when they start awarding...

Letters should be going out soon.

magnumalv

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 05:40:54 PM »
gah! I just hope they wait for my new score (please please please let it be a good one...)

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 06:10:28 PM »
gah! I just hope they wait for my new score (please please please let it be a good one...)

When do you find out?