Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Umm, Boalt Email?  (Read 19506 times)

aqualung

• View Profile
Re: Umm, Boalt Email?
« Reply #230 on: February 19, 2006, 09:07:43 AM »
Did anyone who hasn't heard from Boalt NOT get the email?
I haven't heard back since the complete notice from Boalt.
Received neither email.

sea dream

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: My personal experience....
« Reply #231 on: February 19, 2006, 09:22:51 AM »

I received the acceptence email on Friday night as well as the invitation to the colored event. Since I am Hispanic everything seemed coherent. Besides, I did not received the short apology that most of you received 15 minutes after the initial acceptance email.
Adrenaline flowing trhough my veins, I woke up my wife and called my mom (It made her cry!!) to tell them about the good news. My mother, after we hung up, called every single relative to share the news. On Saturday morning I had 7 messages from different relatives and friends congratulating me. Minutes later my mom called to tell me that she had made reservaions for lunch at the White House in Anaheim to celebrate...
I cannot express in words the humilliation and frustration thaT I felt when at 1:53 on Saturday I received the "ANOTHER APOLIGY" email. I had to  return every single phone call to explain the mistake and, to my great regret, brake my mom's heart. To my request, she canceled the reservation and we ended up eating at Pollo Loco...LOL
I'm sharing this tragic story with all of you guys so that those who think that this is not a big deal realize the magnitude of Boalt's error. My sincere condolences to those who had the misfortune to live something similar. I know there are plenty. Schools have no right to play with people's emotions in this way.

uh, your acceptance is probably legit. the only email that was sent in mistake was the invitation to the people of color event. An email you received before that would be perfectly fine, and the apology emails were sent out to a lot of people, many of whom never received the email in mistake. the 2nd apology clearly states what the subject line of the (only) email sent out by accident was, which was "You Are Cordially Invited…"
Nevermind. Queen of the Waitlists, anyways.

jeb240

Re: My personal experience....
« Reply #232 on: February 19, 2006, 09:44:54 AM »
uh, your acceptance is probably legit. the only email that was sent in mistake was the invitation to the people of color event. An email you received before that would be perfectly fine, and the apology emails were sent out to a lot of people, many of whom never received the email in mistake. the 2nd apology clearly states what the subject line of the (only) email sent out by accident was, which was "You Are Cordially Invited…"

Seconded.

The event for students of color was the email that everyone is talking about, which was not an acceptance email, but just indicated that those who were meant to receive the email had already been accepted.

If you received that plus a different email that was actually an acceptance email, then it's time to make the rounds a third time and tell everyone that, no, EVERYONE ELSE didn't get into Boalt, but you did and dinner reservations at the White House are back on.

Or wait until Tuesday and call Boalt just to be entirely sure.  And make sure that they understand which email you're talking about, as when I called, before I even explained what I was talking about, they told me it was a mistake.  But that does not sound like it's the case for you.

So, I feel like I want to say Congrats!  ;), but I'll hold it until you get verification.

jeb240

« Reply #233 on: February 19, 2006, 05:03:19 PM »
So I guess we can let this topic die, but that because while a number of you cautioned me against emailing Berkeley the letter I posted above [which I took down when I wasn't going to send it 'cause of the general response], others of you who I spoke with directly really were in favor of it.  Plus, I really had NOTHING to lose by emailing the guy, since the letter wasn't a crazy rant, but a reasoned argument.

In any case, he responded:

"Dear Jason240,

Thanks for your comments.  The reason why a decision on your application
has taken so long is that your application passed our initial screening
a number of weeks ago and was referred to our faculty admissions
committee for review during its first round of reading.  That committee
did not convene until early February (our faculty and students did not
return from holiday break until January 16).  To make a long story
short, your file is with the Committee now, and a decision should be
rendered by the end of the coming week.  Moreover, you are not alone: 
Some 800 files are currently with the Committee at the moment, and I
anticipate all of those decisions will be out around the same time.

Thanks for your thoughtful comments.  I regret the incident that caused
them.

Sincerely,

Edward Tom"

SO... this leaves some of my questions unanswered, but it demystifies why things take so long -- because things only just got started.

And as for the questions that it does not answer, I'm just going to have to make my peace.  Hopefully the rest of this crew can do the same.  It's not like we can expect them to reveal all of their secrets to us.

snikrep

« Reply #234 on: February 19, 2006, 05:12:28 PM »
Ahhh, thanks for getting that info Jason - I wish they would just publicize this information, it sure would make the process a lot easier.  So it sounds like they are going to do one huge review and then dump an enormous amount of decisions coming up soon, looking forward to getting the final results.

Skeptic

• Sr. Citizen
  • I need Radiohead tickets for show in L.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 19, 2006, 05:27:53 PM »
i got the apology letter as well and i didn't even apply!!! i just once inquired about something through email, so obviously they are having some problems with their list of emails

segundo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
Re: bizarre berkeley emails
« Reply #236 on: February 19, 2006, 06:43:17 PM »
I really cannot get believe they made such a careless mistake.
BC class of 06'
-----------------
3.4 G.P.A.
162 (June)
166 (October)

Attending Fall 2006: Wake Forest

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
  • New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 20, 2006, 09:44:22 AM »
Congrats, BoalTTT! You made the news.

http://www.yaledailynews.com/article.asp?aid=31929&refer=1&type=2

Here's hoping the AP picks this one up.
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Bored? Try the mafia boss. (Warning: addictive!)
http://www.themafiaboss.com/?refer=admiral28
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=yalecol06

maddhopps

• View Profile
    • LSN --> maddhopps
« Reply #238 on: February 20, 2006, 12:34:21 PM »
In general, it seems like the top applicants didn't receive the first mis-directed e-mail.  Thus, I believe that non-receivers are safe.  God help the rest of us.

Top Applicants who DID receive the first e-mail, this is your cue to prove my theory wrong!!

Good luck, everyone.
GPA: 3.78
LSAT: 166

Swish!!: UHouston($$), SMU($$$), UTexas
Briiiiick: Boalt, UMich(WL)

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 20, 2006, 12:57:16 PM »
Jason - I'm really glad you went with your gut feeling and got a satisfactory response. Good for you! :o)

For some other posters here, I understand you're upset or annoyed or whatever, but it still annoys me when people call very good schools TTTs. It's an ugly term, and ubsurd application of it, like on this thread, is not funny but stinks of immaturity.