Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My chance to work for the law firm in Canada  (Read 662 times)

erica228h

• View Profile
My chance to work for the law firm in Canada
« on: February 17, 2006, 11:15:29 AM »
Hey, all!

I hope I can get more responses here.

I am considering going to Canadian law school next year.
I am orginally from South Korea which means my first language is not English. But, my spoken English is very fluent. My weak area is writing part compared to the native speakers.
I am a permanant resident of Canada(I am allowed to work in Canada) and did MA in Washington DC.

My question is that do you think can I go to the Canadian law school? If yes, according to your experience as an international student or your indirect watching your international law school classmates, is there any big problem to follow the classes?

My second question is that whether the Canadian law firms have any discrimination or policy not hiring the student whose mother tongue is not English. I am interested in business law and corporate law although some Korean lawyers here in Canada are working related to the immigration. In terms of the business law, do you think there are good opportunity for me? How promising is that?

I want to know the answer because I am going to live in Canada and work here.

Thank you!

Mr. Pink

• LSD Obsessed
  • @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: My chance to work for the law firm in Canada
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 12:37:39 AM »
Which province.  If your going to Quebec they do not practice common law (which is what the US and other provinces practice).  I would assume that you would not have a problem with you went to an English speaking province.  You can always call the admission office to find out more info.
Mr. White: Smoke?
Mr. Pink: I quit.
[later]
Mr. Pink: What, you got one?

Mr. Pink

• LSD Obsessed
  • @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: My chance to work for the law firm in Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 08:47:23 AM »
I believe they are.  Check the McGill Law School web site.
Mr. White: Smoke?
Mr. Pink: I quit.
[later]
Mr. Pink: What, you got one?