Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Part-Time Employment as 1L  (Read 950 times)

TheHardestPart

• View Profile
Part-Time Employment as 1L
« on: February 17, 2006, 09:40:02 AM »
i know it's discouraged, but i'm considering it.  i'll probably go to USD, and san diego is pretty expensive... as is the law school... an extra income can't hurt anything, if it's feasible (my personal situation would be working remotely, from home, for the company i work for now.. usually putting together power point presentations)

any thoughts on this?

Slow Blues

Re: Part-Time Employment as 1L
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 09:59:07 AM »
I know I'm definitely not doing it. Why not wait until you've been in 1L for a month or two, see what the workload is like, then figure out if you can swing a few work from home hours.

bama

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 12:08:49 PM »
keep the job, doesn't sound too difficult.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 02:38:06 PM »
Be careful that you're not getting into a situation where you'll be killing your law school chances by not giving yourself enough time for schoolwork. I know someone who graded out because he couldn't keep up with work and school pressures.

silva

• vc n ss
    • AOL Instant Messenger - donel1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 01:33:29 AM »
This LSD thing is pretty cool, it really does cover all the issues law students have.  that said, I'm thinking about doing part-time work as well when I get there, maybe as a personal trainer since that doesn't always require much committment and it pays well for short periods of time.  and that's kinda what I studied in undergrad...go figure
it's funny how money change a situation

Zoli

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 05:07:59 AM »
to "thehardestpart" "I know it's discouraged, but I'm considering it"  You know i'm not a genius, but there maybe a reason why they discourage working during 1L.  Are you related to Luxor? It's like I know that taking a big ass dump in the middle of the road is discouraged but I'm considering it.  What do you guys think? 

"I say NO to drugs but they don't listen."

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 05:17:01 AM »
I would not suggest it, unless you're talking about 5 hours a week or something. As a 1L your class work will consume most of your time.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 08:31:21 AM »
I think working is not a good idea.  Time is tight during law school.  You should study like crazy, but you want to have some socializing time too.  Also, you want to be involved (law review, moot court, etc.).  With such time constraints, the marginal benefit of getting some part-time cash isn't worth the cost of your time, which is extremely valuable.

Actual 1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 02:58:15 PM »
I'd wait until 2nd semester, when you know if you'll have time.  Everyone functions differently in law school, so no one here or anyone else can answer this question for you.  If it helps, I could have easily worked this year, as 1L has not been that much work for me.

Typhoon Longwang

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 01:25:50 PM »
You could always put the presentations together during class...