Law School Discussion

What field of law to aim for?

"V"

• Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
    • View Profile
What field of law to aim for?
« on: February 16, 2006, 04:23:37 PM »
I don't have any major preferences for fields of law yet, but I know how I want to live my life. Ideally, I'd like to be well off, but not necessarily rolling in money. Instead, I'd like more time to be at home with my wife and, potentially someday, my kids. Right out of law school, I wouldn't mind working 40-55 hour weeks, and I know it's probably more likely to be around 55. But as my career goes on, I'd much rather level out at 40 hours, heck, less if I could manage it.

In exchange, I don't need to make oodles and oodles of cash. Something around 70k after working for a few years would make me shout with joyful glee. Obviously this means I'm not going to be shooting for biglaw, but I hear mid sized firms could be a good option.

Are there specific fields of law that would fit this desire well? Ones that it precludes? I'm not keen on criminal or tax law, but I could be talked into tax law.

Thanks for any suggestions/input.

Re: What field of law to aim for?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 04:48:34 PM »
Aim for a field you don't have to be talked into  :)

"V"

• Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
    • View Profile
Re: What field of law to aim for?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 04:50:42 PM »
That was the plan *L* But if tax law was the only way (and I don't think it is by any stretch) to live the life I want, I'd do it.