Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ave maria  (Read 652 times)

kree

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ures0lastsummer
    • View Profile
ave maria
« on: February 16, 2006, 04:10:16 PM »
So..apparently there are rumors about ave maria school of law moving from michigan to florida. can anyone expand on this? i can't find anything about it on their site.....
sunny: ave maria $$, drexel $$$, catholic, wvu, hofstra, drake $$
rainy: american, uf, george mason, northeastern, miami
cloudy: pittsburgh, tenn, penn state, pacific (wd), loyola chicago, stetson
still forecasting: unlv, santa clara

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=krysr

spygroove

• View Profile
Re: ave maria
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 06:00:09 PM »
That's the rumor we hear in Ann Arbor.

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 07:17:23 PM »
I saw this one in pre-law. Yet another reason not to attend this bat *&^% insane school. The only reason to go to this school would be the laugh I would give myself for bringing my toddler step-daughter into the school to scream "RIGHT TO LIFE" in the fetal position.

john83

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 10:50:38 PM »
I saw this one in pre-law. Yet another reason not to attend this bat *&^% insane school. The only reason to go to this school would be the laugh I would give myself for bringing my toddler step-daughter into the school to scream "RIGHT TO LIFE" in the fetal position.

wow. you don't like that school. i was actually impressed with them.

maybe i should ask? i figure they'd at least attempt to answer my question since i'm admitted there.

desivibes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 01:36:17 AM »
wait.. what?  really?  they can just up and move like that.... don't they have to like.... say something??  im so lost...

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 06:28:49 AM »
You were impressed with them lol?  Any school that sends me a letter without my asking for it offerring a full ride kinda makes me think a little about their career prospects.  My numbers are good, but not amazing, and they called and offered a full ride like it was nothing.

You are actually considering taking out 100K in debt to go to this toilet?
Attending GW in Fall '06

john83

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 09:36:26 AM »
You were impressed with them lol?  Any school that sends me a letter without my asking for it offerring a full ride kinda makes me think a little about their career prospects.  My numbers are good, but not amazing, and they called and offered a full ride like it was nothing.

You are actually considering taking out 100K in debt to go to this toilet?

i don't think i'll go. but i was offered a full ride before i applied, and received one after i applied. so, if i went, it wouldn't really take on any debt. it's the only school to offer me a full ride. and their job prospects are pretty incredible when you consider they've only been fully accredited for less than a year. 91% job placement. 93% bar passage. 17% of last year's grads had judicial clerkships, with the majority at the federal level. in the last 3 years, they've placed grads all over the place. including in my home state at one of the largest firms in the state.

when the new rankings come out, it'll premiere as a tier 3, maybe even tier 2. they just hired the former director of admissions at notre dame to serve at the same position. their 25/75 LSATs are pretty good, 151-162, which rivals many tier 2 schools.

so yeah, i'm defending them. will i go there? doubtful. but they've sure done a great job of making me feel wanted, and additionally, demonstrating that they are a law school on the rise. i think their career placement works extremely hard at getting their grads jobs. that's one great way to improve your reputation.

cyberrev

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 01:59:15 PM »
rather than idly speculate, i emailed them this morning.  here is the answer:

Dear

Nicole forwarded your email to me so that I might respond to your question regarding our possible re-location to Florida.

Our Board of Governors is expected to again discuss the issue of relocation at a future date.  The Board will thoroughly examine this issue and will proceed in a very deliberate manner.  Should the Board decide to proceed with this issue, I am told that a second feasibility study would be undertaken and discussions would need to occur with the ABA.  We will know more, I believe, in the not-too-distant future.  We would, of course, update you as we know more.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any other questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Chuck Roboski

john83

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 02:12:54 PM »
rather than idly speculate, i emailed them this morning.  here is the answer:

Dear

Nicole forwarded your email to me so that I might respond to your question regarding our possible re-location to Florida.

Our Board of Governors is expected to again discuss the issue of relocation at a future date.  The Board will thoroughly examine this issue and will proceed in a very deliberate manner.  Should the Board decide to proceed with this issue, I am told that a second feasibility study would be undertaken and discussions would need to occur with the ABA.  We will know more, I believe, in the not-too-distant future.  We would, of course, update you as we know more.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any other questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Chuck Roboski

i emailed them today, too. just hours ago. waiting on a response.

chuck, such a nice guy. i do wonder why he left ND for Ave Maria.

Amaraya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 12:09:51 PM »
I am an Ave Maria Law student so I may be able to offer a little insight.  There is some talk about a possible move in the future, but it is not decided and no one is going to tell you it's definately happening or definately not happening.  If they do move, they may phase it over there slowly so those students already attending in Michigan would remain in Michigan til graduation.  While it's a source of some contention, don't let that stop you from considering or visiting our school.  It is truly an outstanding legal education- and this from a student who is not politically conservative.  I know the impression people get is that everyone is of one mind, but we do have interesting and respectful debates and I get along with the people who don't agree with me on every topic.

I'm also receiving a full scholarship and it is quite a relief when you think about the years I won't be working to pay off those loans.

Additionally, I have already secured a summer job so it is not as difficult as you might think, coming from a new school.  Our reputation is beginning to precede us and people are saying good things.

Please email me with any further questions.  If you'd like to visit, I'd be happy to show you around.
Ave Maria School of Law
Class of 2008