Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Send more letters than they ask for?  (Read 2175 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Send more letters than they ask for?
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2004, 09:36:57 AM »
I think I'd read somewhere that it only applies to recs received after they changed their policy.  I don't know if this is correct, as I could have misread or something.  If that's the case, it's pretty stupid...

Kaycee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2004, 10:35:16 AM »
I just got off the phone with LSAC. The policy will be changed in September. A new form will be on the LSAC website, and if your receommendations are received with this new form, you can specify which LOR you want sent to which schools. And jacy85 is right; the new policy only applies to LORs received with the new form. Letters received before the policy change will be processed as before - the first LORs received will be sent first. Since I want to be able to specify which two of the three are sent to schools that only accept two, I guess I'll wait for the new form. I'm not waiting for the new form to come out before I ask my recommenders for LOR's though; that would set me further back in the application process than I want to be. I guess I'll just ask for the LOR and tell the recommenders that as soon as LSAC makes the new form available I'll get it to them.

Kaycee

TheDecline

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2004, 08:58:08 PM »
So if I've got two letters from professors that I know I want sent everywhere as well as one letter from an attorney that I want sent to some schools from the start but hold it for others that only accept two.  Therefore, I could use the one from the attorney I interned for in a waitlist situation.  Could I go ahead and get the professors to write their's and send them in ASAP, and then wait and give the attorney the other form and be able to send his to schools of my choice?  Basically I am asking if you can give some recommenders the old form and some the new form.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2004, 10:47:26 AM »
If you're holding onto that rec in case you're waitlisted, then you should have it sent to lsac at all.  You should ask your attorney to give you a bunch of copies, each in their own envelop and sealed with his signature over the back (to prove you haven't tampered with it).  Then, if you get waitlisted, send a rec and a letter of intent to each school.  LSAC won't hold on to it and just send one out when you ask for it.

newy

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2004, 10:37:33 AM »
Ooh here's a good idea.  While he's giving you a bunch of sealed letters, ask him for one more than you need and then you can read it!  Mwa ha ha

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2004, 12:26:07 PM »
Ooh here's a good idea.  While he's giving you a bunch of sealed letters, ask him for one more than you need and then you can read it!  Mwa ha ha

this is pretty sketchy ... I was going to post this suggestion a while back but refrained for fear that the moral police on this site would get pissed at me.

nathanielmark

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2004, 12:28:08 PM »
i think the new form is out actually.  i noticed a change between my first and second and third.

I just got off the phone with LSAC. The policy will be changed in September. A new form will be on the LSAC website, and if your receommendations are received with this new form, you can specify which LOR you want sent to which schools. And jacy85 is right; the new policy only applies to LORs received with the new form. Letters received before the policy change will be processed as before - the first LORs received will be sent first. Since I want to be able to specify which two of the three are sent to schools that only accept two, I guess I'll wait for the new form. I'm not waiting for the new form to come out before I ask my recommenders for LOR's though; that would set me further back in the application process than I want to be. I guess I'll just ask for the LOR and tell the recommenders that as soon as LSAC makes the new form available I'll get it to them.

Kaycee

newy

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2004, 12:47:29 PM »

this is pretty sketchy ... I was going to post this suggestion a while back but refrained for fear that the moral police on this site would get pissed at me.

I was being sarcastic while subtly trying to point out that this idea might be obvious to a recommender when you asked for 10 sealed letters.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2004, 12:50:18 PM »
why?  if i apply to 10 schools and don't use the LSDAS service then I really do need 10 letters.