Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Quick Financial Aid Question  (Read 1323 times)

Law2k6

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Financial Aid Question
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 12:15:00 AM »
Why can't you buy the car before applying for financial aid? If you already have 20k just go buyt it. Lots of cars are cheaper than that. If you have to take out a couple thousand in loans to pay for a car that costs $23k, that doesn't seem so bad. I don't see how it's unethical to buy a car before applying for aid...thought it would be unethical to not report it if you have it.
U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 10:42:35 AM »
Why can't you buy the car before applying for financial aid? If you already have 20k just go buyt it. Lots of cars are cheaper than that. If you have to take out a couple thousand in loans to pay for a car that costs $23k, that doesn't seem so bad. I don't see how it's unethical to buy a car before applying for aid...thought it would be unethical to not report it if you have it.

Yeah, exactly.  Go buy the car now.  Don't listen to these chumps who suggest you cheat the system.  Just buy the car now!
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

xindogu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 11:30:15 AM »
I don't think that I will be able to buy the car before I apply for financial aid...

The suggestions from "us chumps" were based on the info the OP provided...
Applied: Michigan
Accepted: Michigan
Attending: Michigan

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 04:11:45 PM »
I don't think that I will be able to buy the car before I apply for financial aid...

The suggestions from "us chumps" were based on the info the OP provided...

Your suggestion that OP "lend" the money to a close relative is completely unethical.  It has nothing to do with whether or not he/she can buy the car now.  And yeah, I think anybody who suggests such an unethical course of action is a chump.   
LSAT - 161

Out - BC, Northeastern

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 04:42:22 PM »
Funny, we are the "chumps," yet you are going to go thousands in debt for a 4th tier toilet...........
Attending GW in Fall '06

cayberr

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 04:51:10 PM »
Funny, we are the "chumps," yet you are going to go thousands in debt for a 4th tier toilet...........

An ethical attorney from any tier is thumbs up in my book.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2006, 05:00:48 PM »
I never said to do anything unethical.  He said buying the now wasn't an option.  I simply said what he could do if he wanted, not that I recommended doing it.  In fact, if I recall, I told him he should be listing the money like the rest of us.  My EFC is over 25K, so who is unethical?  I listed every holding I have.
Attending GW in Fall '06

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2006, 09:41:09 PM »
I never said to do anything unethical.  He said buying the now wasn't an option.  I simply said what he could do if he wanted, not that I recommended doing it.  In fact, if I recall, I told him he should be listing the money like the rest of us.  My EFC is over 25K, so who is unethical?  I listed every holding I have.

First you suggested to him that not reporting it was an option, then you agreed with the person who suggested he "lend" it to a family member by telling him he should give it to his parents.  Only then did you tell him he technically had to report it.  So I guess that makes you some kind of fence straddler, at best.

I never called you out as a chump.  I said that people who suggest other people cheat the system and people who suggest unethical courses of action are chumps.  The fact that you then identified yourself as the object of my derision indicates to me that you probably are in fact a chump.  Then you apparently tried to make me feel bad about myself and my future school by calling it a toilet.  That shows a total lack of class. 

So, in summary, you have identified yourself as a fence straddling, no-class chump.  Do you have anything else to add?
LSAT - 161

Out - BC, Northeastern

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2006, 10:27:01 PM »
I did type out a nice lil reply regarding my comfortable status with work, school, and tuition benefits.  However, its not worth it.  Good luck to you.
Attending GW in Fall '06