;

Author Topic: Emory  (Read 4849 times)

wmroyal

• AOL Instant Messenger - williamrglenn
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Emory
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2006, 10:58:21 AM »
PreLawGeek, I'm an Emory grad who has been accepted to both Emory and UGA.  Same username on LSN.  I'll most likely be attending UGA with in-state tuition and a scholarship that won't cover more than my books.

I just saw someone post that ATL biglaw firms dig deeper for Emory grads.  I think that's probably true.  I also think that Emory has better name recognition (though it doesn't extend across the mississippi except for minor exceptions in st. louis and chicago).  I know that Emory will also have better technological resources, a better library, and prettier classrooms.  Emory's lawns will be manicured immaculately.  In general, the students that you meet who choose to attend Emory will be wealthier and more well-traveled.  They will boast more ethnic, regional and religious diversity than you have ever seen, and they will be shifted to the political left of UGA's class (though not by as large a gap as one may expect). Atlanta is more cosmopolitan than Athens, but Athens anchors a solid rotation of musical talent, boasts fine cuisine and provides a lower cost of living.  You're going to be able to go out for Thai, enjoy seasonal festivals, or see a professional weekday theatre production in both places.  A pure guess (from a lifetime resident) would put Athens' cost of living at 75% of Atlanta's.

But let me get to the meat.  I see, arguing for Emory, a married contributor from Boston, a contributor who is partially relying on a study that has some unavoidable flaws and an uncomfortably small sample size, and two individuals that ended their posts with "That's what I think" (this and "Here's what I think" at the beginning of a post both enrage me).  I probably have very little in common with these people except that I would like to go to law school.  Some of them may be smarter than I am and some may be dumber.  Hopefully they're all dumber ... but I won't bank on it, especially considering that it's easy for a fellow with a 163 on the LSD boards to feel like he should only speak when spoken to.  Congratulations to all of you HLS and yale and stanford folks.  I'll try to transfer up to a school that's almost as good as yours if I don't stay too drunk while I'm at UGA.

PLG, as a lifetime georgia resident who has spent a massive amount of time at both places (with the most time, by far, having been spent at Emory), I urge you to consider your options thoroughly.  If you go to Emory for law school, you will be surrounded by extraordinarily smart and unattractive people, many of whom maintain an attitude of baseless arrogance.  The only think that disgusts me more than an arrogant ugly person is a fat girl in capris.  You will receive an incredible education at Emory while never having the opportunity to see a D1 college sporting event.  I would argue that the profs at UGA will be as worthy a group of classroom teachers as those at Emory.  The Emory profs, I would contrarily argue, will be typically more highly regarded in their academic fields, especially in regards to their published works.  In Athens, you will be surrounded by good-looking and energetic young people in a college town.  In Atlanta and North Druid Hills, you will be surrounded by wealthy families in a beautiful residential neighborhood and the students will be more ambitious and professional than those at UGA.

Oh, and based on the new data, UGA = 57k.  Emory = 153k.

Take into account two things about me before you form an opinion on this post.  1.  I come from a middle class family.  2.  I spent four years at Emory and part of my decision is based upon just needing a change of pace.

If anyone wants to argue about a point in this e-mail ... including my aversion to the study mentioned above, fat girls in capri pants, or professorial quality at either school, please consider PMing me unless it is something from which you think all contributors to these boards may profit.

~ Hope that helps.
TFM: Georgia, Wake Forest, Indiana-Bloomington, American, Emory, Georgia State
GDI: GWU, Georgetown, Vanderbilt

GPA/LSAT: 3.48/163

dennycrane

• Sr. Citizen
  • My Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2006, 02:06:07 PM »
I am one of the posters that ended my post with "That's what I think" and from what it looks like I "enraged" wmroyal. I ended my post with that because that was my opinion, which 99 % of the information of this website is. I, like wmroyal, am middle class, however I spent my undergrad at a premier D1 school and it was fun ... for undergrad. I am no longer in undergrad and I will not be choosing a school based on the sports program and the level of attractiveness of the student body, if you want to do that then you are more then welcome, just make sure to put that on your resume when you apply for an internship/job. And just a thought, there are approx 3 million people in atl therefore by sheer numbers there are more attractive people in atl then in Athens. I could stay at my current school and go for dirt-cheap and have decent job opportunities, however I would rather have a frontal labotomy at a Mexican hospital then spend another three years in Gainesville. ATL is worth the huge debt I am going to incur. That's what I think.
Emory 3L.

wmroyal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2006, 02:53:19 PM »
daveman,

Please understand that I was in no way attempting to conceal my immaturity in my previous post.  I fully acknowledge and embrace it.  I am a 22 year old male who likes to play in the dirt with his buddies, make money, get tail, work out, and travel (in order of importance).  I have no children, little family, and no significant other.  I don't think my perspective about law school would be very compatible with yours, so I can understand why you may discount my argument as incredible.  Be wary of generally invalidating it, though.  It's important for all the contributors here to remember that LSD draws a certain type of applicant/accepted student, and that the discussion in which you find yourself immersed here will differ greatly from that which you have with many of your fellow classmates (several of whom will certainly be as immature as I am). 

People like us get put in study groups together or assigned to projects together, though, so it's helpful if we can at least respect one another for having gotten there in the first place.

My respect for Emory University was apparent in my previous e-mail, so don't think that I am trying to sway students away from there.  I would like kindred souls to understand, though, that exercising other options may ameliorate certain frustrations that a guy like me experiences at Emory.

Sincerely,
Will

wmroyal, you started off well, and your argument had merits at the beginning, but then you totally killed your credibility. Your launching into salvos about ugly and fat girls and rich people and sports really reveals your immaturity. There are valid arguments for attending UGA. Yours isn't one of them.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2006, 04:54:56 PM »
wmroyal, you started off well, and your argument had merits at the beginning, but then you totally killed your credibility. Your launching into salvos about ugly and fat girls and rich people and sports really reveals your immaturity. There are valid arguments for attending UGA. Yours isn't one of them.

I agree with Daveman here, 100%.

wmroyal, you're ridiculous generalizations totally killed your credibility.  I'm also middle class, and yes, I am getting married.  HOWEVER, I'm in the minority, and most of my classmates are single/dating.  I don't come from a privileged background. While there are definitely trust-fund kids at Emory, it doesn't matter.  Judging an entire school full of people because some have wealthy families is just BS.

And for the record, people who really care about sports more than make time to get to D1 events, and will go cheer on their undergrad teams.  If having a sports program is really a HUGE concern when choosing law school, you might want to rethink your current goals, and consider waiting until you grow up a little.  There's hardly time to eat in law school, and having a sports team is a luxury at best.

TheGunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Seems simple enough...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2006, 05:25:10 PM »
PreLawGeek, I'm an Emory grad who has been accepted to both Emory and UGA.  Same username on LSN.  I'll most likely be attending UGA with in-state tuition and a scholarship that won't cover more than my books.

I just saw someone post that ATL biglaw firms dig deeper for Emory grads.  I think that's probably true.  I also think that Emory has better name recognition (though it doesn't extend across the mississippi except for minor exceptions in st. louis and chicago).  I know that Emory will also have better technological resources, a better library, and prettier classrooms.  Emory's lawns will be manicured immaculately.  In general, the students that you meet who choose to attend Emory will be wealthier and more well-traveled.  They will boast more ethnic, regional and religious diversity than you have ever seen, and they will be shifted to the political left of UGA's class (though not by as large a gap as one may expect). Atlanta is more cosmopolitan than Athens, but Athens anchors a solid rotation of musical talent, boasts fine cuisine and provides a lower cost of living.  You're going to be able to go out for Thai, enjoy seasonal festivals, or see a professional weekday theatre production in both places.  A pure guess (from a lifetime resident) would put Athens' cost of living at 75% of Atlanta's.

But let me get to the meat.  I see, arguing for Emory, a married contributor from Boston, a contributor who is partially relying on a study that has some unavoidable flaws and an uncomfortably small sample size, and two individuals that ended their posts with "That's what I think" (this and "Here's what I think" at the beginning of a post both enrage me).  I probably have very little in common with these people except that I would like to go to law school.  Some of them may be smarter than I am and some may be dumber.  Hopefully they're all dumber ... but I won't bank on it, especially considering that it's easy for a fellow with a 163 on the LSD boards to feel like he should only speak when spoken to.  Congratulations to all of you HLS and yale and stanford folks.  I'll try to transfer up to a school that's almost as good as yours if I don't stay too drunk while I'm at UGA.

PLG, as a lifetime georgia resident who has spent a massive amount of time at both places (with the most time, by far, having been spent at Emory), I urge you to consider your options thoroughly.  If you go to Emory for law school, you will be surrounded by extraordinarily smart and unattractive people, many of whom maintain an attitude of baseless arrogance.  The only think that disgusts me more than an arrogant ugly person is a fat girl in capris.  You will receive an incredible education at Emory while never having the opportunity to see a D1 college sporting event.  I would argue that the profs at UGA will be as worthy a group of classroom teachers as those at Emory.  The Emory profs, I would contrarily argue, will be typically more highly regarded in their academic fields, especially in regards to their published works.  In Athens, you will be surrounded by good-looking and energetic young people in a college town.  In Atlanta and North Druid Hills, you will be surrounded by wealthy families in a beautiful residential neighborhood and the students will be more ambitious and professional than those at UGA.

Oh, and based on the new data, UGA = 57k.  Emory = 153k.

Take into account two things about me before you form an opinion on this post.  1.  I come from a middle class family.  2.  I spent four years at Emory and part of my decision is based upon just needing a change of pace.

If anyone wants to argue about a point in this e-mail ... including my aversion to the study mentioned above, fat girls in capri pants, or professorial quality at either school, please consider PMing me unless it is something from which you think all contributors to these boards may profit.

~ Hope that helps.

I'm now going to pretend I'm on XOXO...

Mr. Royal, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

ChrisDMB41

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2006, 06:08:04 PM »
Wmroyal has some good points. In fact that was about as accurate description of both schools as I have ever heard.  Call it generalizing but I have a few experiences with both schools and based on what I have seen, he speaks with a certain degree of truth.  Also, if you can't take a joke about fat girls in capris....well you might wanna loosen up.
Accepted: UGA, Alabama, Mercer. Emory, Georgia State
Deferred: Duke

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ChrisDMB41

wmroyal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2006, 01:20:52 AM »
Guys and Gals,

I don't mind that some of y'all don't like what I have to say, but one point needs clarification.  When I referred to the wealthier student body at Emory, it wasn't to purposefully serve as a contrast to my situation as a middle-class male.  I didn't mean to signal that there was a class conflict at any point.

On the contrary, having wealthy friends was one of the most fun parts about Emory.  Great vacations ... indiscriminate parents' weekend dinners ... I had a blast, and I still enjoy a wealth of connections in cities nationwide because of my choice of Emory for undergrad.  And being around a generally well-off group of classmates introduced me to a single type of person for whom I gained a great deal of respect: the modest rich guy.  Totally lacking pretense, this member of the species somehow manages to exercise his privilege so sparingly that he humbles those around him.

And I'll tell you what else didn't bother me that people on these discussion boards have warned you all about: the Emory students with the chips on their shoulders.  In my experience, the people who were saying they had chips on their shoulders were people who weren't doing as well for themselves in college.  Somehow every guy or gal with a chip on her shoulder had it covered up by the well-pressed suit that he or she was wearing to a President's Meeting or a Dinner with the Dean.  I suppose the Dean probably has a chip on his shoulder too.  Shoulder chips.  bull.

In one of the two previous posts someone claimed that I am engaging in a rant against Emory.  Receiveth thou the joyful word.  I love Emory University.  If you leave Emory without a world of possibilities open to you then you have disastrously misused the three (in my case four) years that you have spent in the proximity of the campus' boundless resources.  Emory, even without the D1 sports, has a fantastic intramural sports program in which all of the grad schools readily participate.  Though recent efforts to promote inter-campus rivalries have fizzled out, even the D3 athletics can get interesting sometime (with soccer being the most popular; notable mention goes to the baseball games which are played on another very well-kept field).

I really am here to help about Emory.  I like to make jabs because of the choice that I am personally making, but all in all you can ask for either my personal or my unbiased opinion and I can give you either.  Just don't ask me about fat girls in capris.

Stifler

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2006, 01:32:04 AM »
"I am a 22 year old male who likes to play in the dirt with his buddies, make money, get tail, work out, and travel (in order of importance). "

playing in the dirt with your buddies is so brokeback.  i think that belongs after geting (female) tail as should making money.

igs88

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2007, 03:55:51 AM »
"I am a 22 year old male who likes to play in the dirt with his buddies, make money, get tail, work out, and travel (in order of importance). "

playing in the dirt with your buddies is so brokeback.  i think that belongs after geting (female) tail as should making money.

I think someone's a little brokebaphobic.  When the girl leaves you and takes your money, what do you have left?  That's right, the dirt and your buddies.  I would switch working out and traveling, but other than that his list was spot on.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -Mitch Hedburg