Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Deloggio prediction proves correct (specifically for Harvard)?  (Read 1093 times)

Pancho

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Deloggio prediction proves correct (specifically for Harvard)?
« on: February 16, 2006, 01:07:47 AM »

November 1st -

Enormous hold and wait categories.  Law schools will admit cautiously, check application volumes and deposits frequently, and beg LSAC for overlap reports early.  (Overlap reports are how law schools keep track of their competitors.  Remind me to tell you more about them in March.)  They'll run wait list long, just in case they see lower deposit volumes.  You'll be living in admissions hell until June.

http://www.deloggio.com/newweb/news.htm

getinsomewhere

Re: Deloggio prediction proves correct (specifically for Harvard)?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 01:34:43 AM »
This seems to be a common strategy more generally.  It appears the tactic of using last-minute letters and emails requesting interviews and essays to determine if people are serious is more evidence that schools are getting frantic about carefully screening applicant pools.

Now, it is not sufficient to simply meet a school's standards, but you must be absolutely set on going if its one of the 'just outside the top 5' schools that has an inferiority complex (ahem, Northwestern and Penn).

The tremendous numbers of holds/defers and waitlists is just another sign of the way this admissions process is becoming out of control.

I suppose its pretty much all due to US News and World Report that schools have to be so careful and take eons to make choices.  So, since we are all probably the first ones who will buy the Grad school edition of US News in April, we are probably at fault, too.

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 11:38:07 AM »

November 1st -

Enormous hold and wait categories.  Law schools will admit cautiously, check application volumes and deposits frequently, and beg LSAC for overlap reports early.  (Overlap reports are how law schools keep track of their competitors.  Remind me to tell you more about them in March.)  They'll run wait list long, just in case they see lower deposit volumes.  You'll be living in admissions hell until June.

Harvard is definitely doing this and so is Columbia while other schools seem to be simply not be making any decisions at all and waiting to see how things pan out.

chrisfield

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas Tech ---> Fall 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 11:40:00 AM »

November 1st -

Harvard is definitely doing this and so is Columbia while other schools seem to be simply not be making any decisions at all and waiting to see how things pan out.

Like maybe North Carlina... :-\

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 12:04:18 PM »
as of mid January Chapman had admitted 170 and waitlisted 150....seems like a lot of WL for January. 
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

SkullTatt

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 01:45:28 PM »
Georgetown put me on waitlist immediately in December. I don't get that. They're basically saying they KNOW, as of December, they will get enough applications better than mine to admit before April, and enough applications worse than mine to reject.

Either that or they don't know, and they are just waitlisting huge hordes like Deloggio says. Hm..

blocke123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 08:21:21 PM »
I've noticied that schools seem to be taking longer.  right after Winter break and have only heard from 5 out of about 12 of the schools I applied.  I'm getting waitlisted by people I thought for sure I would get in... This might be caused by MORE APPLICATIONS and LESS APPLICANTS.  T2s are admitting 168s in the offhand chance they actually chose to go there and waitlisting their previous standards.  Seems like a smart idea really.
Wants to meet me under the bleachers: DePaul ($$$), John Marshall ($$$ withdrawn), American, Miami (withdrawn), IOWA, Kent ($$)
Wants to meet me by the bike rack: Indiana
Told me they need to wash their hair: Loyola

cyberrev

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 08:24:09 PM »
Georgetown put me on waitlist immediately in December. I don't get that. They're basically saying they KNOW, as of December, they will get enough applications better than mine to admit before April, and enough applications worse than mine to reject.

Either that or they don't know, and they are just waitlisting huge hordes like Deloggio says. Hm..

nebraska hasnt rejected anybody, but deferred everyone not admitted.  so did creighton.  weird.