Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Comparing Northwestern and U Chicago  (Read 3240 times)

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Comparing Northwestern and U Chicago
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2006, 05:15:30 PM »
hey nixon, are you currently attending nyu?  if so, can you share some general observations on say, exams, legal writing courses, competition...?

thanks!  ;D

sure, what do you want to know? legal writing is ungraded and pretty much everyone passes. there are 3 courses plus legal writing per 1L semester. doesn't seem to competitive but I've intentionally  avoided talking about school or being in study groups with people
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

alex12

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2006, 05:28:03 PM »
has anyone else had this problem with group work at NU?

this sounds pretty bad in my opinion. i'm looking at these schools pretty heavily, and i was offered a fair bit of money by nu which is looking pretty nice.

just not sure how much i should weigh that against chicago.

the group work thing seems really weak to me.

Bullsh1tDetector

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2006, 07:38:23 PM »
I am telling Prof. B that you wrote that, burgh.

I am also at NU, was also in a CLR class with group work, and I had the "no lower than an A- on any paper but still get a grade in the B-range" problem.

It's my understanding that the particular prof burgh has is on the verge of being let go, though.

azdezza

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2006, 08:31:42 PM »
It's a shame that the two big Chicago schools have such different atmospheres.  While Chicago is known for its cutthroat/ ultra-competitive environment (which I acknowledge many people now say is more myth than anything), NU is criticized for being "too cooperative" (i.e. heavy emphasis on group projects).  I wish there were a happy medium.

Personally, I'm not a fan of group work.  Either I end up doing the bulk of the work, or, in the rare instances where I trust my group to do their share, I'm very disappointed in the end result.  Then again, while I tend to be a fairly competitive person, I'm not looking forward to three years of fierce competition.

So, like I said in another thread, I'm really counting on the admit days in early April to clear things up for me. 

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2006, 09:47:11 PM »
I am telling Prof. B that you wrote that, burgh.

I am also at NU, was also in a CLR class with group work, and I had the "no lower than an A- on any paper but still get a grade in the B-range" problem.

It's my understanding that the particular prof burgh has is on the verge of being let go, though.

If she wasn't already, I'm sure she will be when 100 LSDers show up at Admitted Students Day freaking out about this.  Please leave my name out of it :)

For the record, my goal is not to disparage my CLR professor.  I'm sure she does the best job she can, and I don't know that I'd be able to do any better.  It's so difficult to grade written papers objectively to be begin with, let alone when the entire class is made up of excellent writers (Which, for the most part, you have to be in order to get into a top law school).  This semester I know that every other section has group work too, so I guess we're all at an equal disadvantage now, at least.  My gripe is with the overall system.  I'm sure NU doesn't give a @#!* about my opinion now that they've already got me locked in, but I'm posting here becuase I think it's a legit question that prospective students should ask.  "How can you justify basing a student's first year grades on other students' work?"  If they actually have a good answer, I'd love to hear it.

Also for the record, I love it here and this is really my only gripe after a semester and a half. 

alex12

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2006, 09:39:26 PM »
thanks for all the help with this thread.

random question for those attending chicago.  any thoughts on the chicago alternative loan? seems like a good deal, was wondering how hard it is to qualify.

thanks.

Starresky

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LeftMusic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2006, 07:40:27 AM »
Okay this is an old thread but I feel like I have to chime in. Yes, there were some CLR professors who did group work and the one con law professor who chose group work, but I didn't experience any of that in any of my classes. The most collaboration I've done is with a partner for moot court, and well, that's moot court and you have to have a partner. So I really didn't feel like group work was a big part of my 1L Northwestern experience. I also don't feel like it was a part of the academic culture (though that really sucks burgh that you had that, I definitely feel for you!) so I don't know if you can judge NU either way, it's the luck of the draw.