Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Boalt student taking questions about Boalt, law school in general, work, etc.  (Read 94745 times)

GOB

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I don't know if you answered these yet but I can't find these questions in the skimming I've done so...

1. Do profs at Boalt ever give open book exams, such as allowing outlines?  If so, which ones and how helpful is this?

2. What are the Pope Gregory Days???

3. Can you take the exams on a mac instead of a pc?

Thanks!

I think I'll jump in, if that's okay! I'm a rising 2L and like answering Berkeley questions.

1. Many profs at Boalt give open book exams - in fact I think most do. This semester I had one exam that was completely closed-book/closed-note and one that was closed-book for a multiple choice section, while the rest were open-book (including your notes) while last semester everything was open-book/open-note except for part of one exam. Most profs I've had will let you bring in anything except commercial supplements, and say not to use the internet during exams. How helpful this is really depends on the exam and the class, and I guess how could you are at memorizing things. It doesn't really make it easier, because everyone has the same access to the book and their notes, it just means it will probably be a different kind of exam.

2. Pope Gregory Days are these random make-up class days at the end of every semester that confuse everyone. I think they are to make up for classes missed because of Monday holidays and three-day weekends, but I'm honestly not really sure. I just know a lot of the profs get confused about them, too.

3. You can definitely take exams on a mac instead of a pc, no software of any kind required. We just write our exams in a word document and then upload them, so all you need is some version of Microsoft word. I'd say it's about 50/50 macs and pcs. I have a mac, and it worked just fine for me  :)

You're correct about this
Boalt 3L

GOB

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Another question, what usually goes on during the two days of orientation?  What activities, workshops, events and stuff do we attend?  I know they will eventually send me a apcket explaining this but I am curious now.  Every school does it a little bit different.  Thoughts?

If I remember correctly, there's a light breakfast in the morning.  For the rest of the morning, several speakers (Ed Tom, BHSA President, etc.) welcome the 1Ls.  Then you probably have lunch with the people in your mod and small section professor.  For the rest of the first day and second day, you have a computer-related info session and they give you time to buy your books, set up your locker, take a library tour, get your free bus pass, get your ID, etc.  Things may have been different last year, but that's what I remember from two years ago.  Also, you'll almost certainly go out drinking both nights.
Boalt 3L

ILoveItWhenYouHateUs

• View Profile
I tried searching for this answer but there's so much information about Boalt and I'd like to know the answer NOW! How do transfer students do at OCI?

Thanks in advance!

qmmm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I tried searching for this answer but there's so much information about Boalt and I'd like to know the answer NOW! How do transfer students do at OCI?

Thanks in advance!

I don't have any numbers, but the few transfers I know found summer work.

We have a lottery system, so employers can't pre-screen.  So you at least get to stick you foot in the door.

But if you want something more specific, contact the career development office.  At the very least, you can make sure that you're on the mailing list for announcements.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile

Thanks in advance!

I think they tend to do well, as long as they aren't socially retarded and interview well. Off the top of my head, I have two classmates, both of whom were transfers who are now working at Skadden and Latham, respectively. I know another transfer that was having some trouble with OCI, but I think it was more a personality issue than anything else.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.