Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Boalt student taking questions about Boalt, law school in general, work, etc.  (Read 96502 times)

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Why be an ass?

I agree; people are asking her advice so there is nothing wrong with her answering.

Seconded.......PS, i'll be graduating either cum laude or magna next month from HLS.

I think you meant "NS" there, instead of "PS," on account of that being a hell of a non sequitur.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

techpers0n

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Why be an ass?

I agree; people are asking her advice so there is nothing wrong with her answering.

Seconded.......PS, i'll be graduating either cum laude or magna next month from HLS.

I think you meant "NS" there, instead of "PS," on account of that being a hell of a non sequitur.

lol... I was wondering about that myself.

fausto

• View Profile
Quick question about placement-

You mentioned that it was harder for a boalt grad to get a firm job in the bay area than in nyc. I was wondering if you might know how well one needs to do at Boalt, as opposed to say, Columbia or Chicago, to get a job in the bay working for a prestigious firm such as MoFo or the like?

qmmm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

You mentioned that it was harder for a boalt grad to get a firm job in the bay area than in nyc. I was wondering if you might know how well one needs to do at Boalt, as opposed to say, Columbia or Chicago, to get a job in the bay working for a prestigious firm such as MoFo or the like?

The reason why it's hard is not b/c of a lack of prestige.  There just aren't that many biglaw SF jobs in comparison to NY or LA.  A lot of the offices tend to be smaller size.  That's what makes it a tight market. 

Of course, if you're into IP and looking at Silicon Valley, it's not hard at all to get a job.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile

The reason why it's hard is not b/c of a lack of prestige.  There just aren't that many biglaw SF jobs in comparison to NY or LA.  A lot of the offices tend to be smaller size.  That's what makes it a tight market. 

Of course, if you're into IP and looking at Silicon Valley, it's not hard at all to get a job.

Yes, that's correct.

New York students tend to stay on the east coast much the same way that Boalt students tend to stay west. You can't really determine how well a school places in a market just by looking at how many lawyers from X school are practicing there. You have to look at the number of candidates that applied and the number who were offered jobs. To my knowledge, not a single placement study to date has offered this level of analysis, which is basically why I consider most of them flawed.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

friartuck

• View Profile
I don't know if you answered these yet but I can't find these questions in the skimming I've done so...

1. Do profs at Boalt ever give open book exams, such as allowing outlines?  If so, which ones and how helpful is this?

2. What are the Pope Gregory Days???

3. Can you take the exams on a mac instead of a pc?

Thanks!
UC Berkeley School of Law Class of 2011

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
I don't know if you answered these yet but I can't find these questions in the skimming I've done so...

1. Do profs at Boalt ever give open book exams, such as allowing outlines?  If so, which ones and how helpful is this?

2. What are the Pope Gregory Days???

3. Can you take the exams on a mac instead of a pc?

Thanks!

I think I'll jump in, if that's okay! I'm a rising 2L and like answering Berkeley questions.

1. Many profs at Boalt give open book exams - in fact I think most do. This semester I had one exam that was completely closed-book/closed-note and one that was closed-book for a multiple choice section, while the rest were open-book (including your notes) while last semester everything was open-book/open-note except for part of one exam. Most profs I've had will let you bring in anything except commercial supplements, and say not to use the internet during exams. How helpful this is really depends on the exam and the class, and I guess how could you are at memorizing things. It doesn't really make it easier, because everyone has the same access to the book and their notes, it just means it will probably be a different kind of exam.

2. Pope Gregory Days are these random make-up class days at the end of every semester that confuse everyone. I think they are to make up for classes missed because of Monday holidays and three-day weekends, but I'm honestly not really sure. I just know a lot of the profs get confused about them, too.

3. You can definitely take exams on a mac instead of a pc, no software of any kind required. We just write our exams in a word document and then upload them, so all you need is some version of Microsoft word. I'd say it's about 50/50 macs and pcs. I have a mac, and it worked just fine for me  :)

Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

friartuck

• View Profile
Thanks!  That was very helpful, I had been wondering about those Pope Gregory days for ages.

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
thanks goalie! I was wondering too.

friartuck

• View Profile
Another question, what usually goes on during the two days of orientation?  What activities, workshops, events and stuff do we attend?  I know they will eventually send me a apcket explaining this but I am curious now.  Every school does it a little bit different.  Thoughts?