Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Boalt student taking questions about Boalt, law school in general, work, etc.  (Read 94724 times)

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
Hmm, they have updated the page since the last time I checked, but there don't appear to be any new details about new scholarships and loan repayment assistance. Oh well, it's exciting nonetheless!

i think the LRAP changes are still pending approval with the higher-ups, but the proposed program would include a non-capped, graduated scale repayment, will all of your debt repaid if you are under a certain salary cap (i think something around $40k). i don't know if there is a central location where you might find all the info on the public interest developments at the school, because many of the changes are happening through individual organizations. i would do a more specific search to see what opportunities and/or scholarships there are with the samuelson clinic, the death penalty clinic, CARC, the environmental law society, EECALSA (my baby...we're still working on scholarships, PI opps), etc.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

chidochido

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rebuilding
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sapotauro
    • View Profile
    • Email
is anyone still looking for housing? i have some suggestions for that.

I'd love to hear them...

what's your criteria and price range?

Umm...my ideal would be a house where I can live w two or three buddies in the rockeridge area, but anything close to campus would be cool...lemme know if you hear of anything opening up!

Boalt 1L

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
is anyone still looking for housing? i have some suggestions for that.

I'd love to hear them...

what's your criteria and price range?

Umm...my ideal would be a house where I can live w two or three buddies in the rockeridge area, but anything close to campus would be cool...lemme know if you hear of anything opening up!

try cal rentals.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Groundhog, is Boalt your number #1 choice?  Mine definately is (of course that could change if I got in somewhere like HYS or Columbia).
Most definitely, Boalt is my numero uno, although I'd be lying to say I wouldn't be tempted by other excellent schools like Yale, Stanford, or Harvard on the extremely unlikely chance they admit me. I'm thinking about EDing at Columbia, though, even though it's very unlikely just to spread my net as wide as possible, since I have no idea whether or not I'll get into Boalt.

bella1985

• View Profile
k-sush, i have some random questions about boalt/your life and i really appreciate the time that you've spent answering past questions on this forum:

1. what's the culture/lifestyle like at boalt?
context: i grew up in dallas, decided to do ugrad at an ivy, and love what i perceive to be the relatively chill vibe from boalt. i feel like i've been really influenced by the fashion/lifestyle on the eastcoast (e.g. a girl here isn't dressed for class without her gucci loafers and everyone goes out ~3 nights a week) but i wanted to know what the kids are like there (a non-representative generalization, i know): wardrobe, interests, socializing etc. i know it isn't ugrad, but boalt sounds more fun than the typical 3-yr drudgery.

2. what do you think about working at a law firm in dallas? i like the pace of life, cost of living, weather and no income tax a lot and i think it would be great to go back. but i'm not sure how working in the big D compares to similar opportunities in cali (aside from the income tax thing)

3. how do you think being an attractive woman has affected you in law school? i know this is a super weird question, but i always wonder to what extent the opportunities women have are affected by our looks/personality in a supposedly post-feminist world. does being cute have any effect on schmoozing recruiters, profs etc? let's be honest, it worked in ugrad..

thaaanks!

spud1987

Groundhog, is Boalt your number #1 choice?  Mine definately is (of course that could change if I got in somewhere like HYS or Columbia).
Most definitely, Boalt is my numero uno, although I'd be lying to say I wouldn't be tempted by other excellent schools like Yale, Stanford, or Harvard on the extremely unlikely chance they admit me. I'm thinking about EDing at Columbia, though, even though it's very unlikely just to spread my net as wide as possible, since I have no idea whether or not I'll get into Boalt.

Well, here's to hoping we both get into Boalt.   :)  BTW, are you planning on letting Boalt know they're your number one choice.  I'm thinking about sending a short essay (not my ps) explaining why they're my number one. 

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'm not sure about letting them know they're my number one, as I don't know how they'll interpret it. My numbers aren't anything but average for Boalt, and I go to a UC and have lived in California my entire life. I don't know what else to add, because all that is pretty much already on their application. I guess I could mention that my family is moving back up to the Bay Area and I'd like to settle there, etc. but I don't know how compelling that'll be, as it's the same story as a lot Californians applying there.

If there's a good way to do it, I'm definitely in, but I don't want to take too many risks with them either, you know?

spud1987

I'm not sure about letting them know they're my number one, as I don't know how they'll interpret it. My numbers aren't anything but average for Boalt, and I go to a UC and have lived in California my entire life. I don't know what else to add, because all that is pretty much already on their application. I guess I could mention that my family is moving back up to the Bay Area and I'd like to settle there, etc. but I don't know how compelling that'll be, as it's the same story as a lot Californians applying there.

If there's a good way to do it, I'm definitely in, but I don't want to take too many risks with them either, you know?

Ya, I know what you mean.  I wish they just had an ED option, that would make it a lot easier.  I'm an out of stater (utah) so I want them to get the impression that I'm serious about applying there but I'm not to sure how to go about it. 

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
That's exactly what I wrote on my LSN...ah well!

spud1987

That's exactly what I wrote on my LSN...ah well!

Haha, I just saw that on your LSN.  Maybe we could ask them to consider us ED  ;)