Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Boalt student taking questions about Boalt, law school in general, work, etc.  (Read 93561 times)

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
Is there anything you think incoming 1L's should read up on before classes begin?

I've heard people saying that we should just have fun this summer and not do ANY reading prior to law school.  What's your take on that advice? 

don't read ANYTHING, unless it's for pleasure.

and if you do read school-related stuff, for god's sake, don't advertise it when you get to school or else you'll come off as a major feminine hygiene product and gunner.

The law school I'm going to made it mandatory to read "Law School without Fear" by Shalpo.  I haven't read it yet, has anyone else read it before?  What is wrong with reading books on law school before starting?  Is it because the study methods that these books recommend actually do not work?

no, it's because study methods should be individualized. no specific formula works for everyone. also, it's because those who read PLS, PLS2 and every edition of Examples and Explanations before they start tend to make quick enemies by attempting to show that off to everyone else.

I don't like show offs.  I'm sure there are plenty of them in LS.

not at boalt. which is why you don't want to become *that* guy!
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
is anyone still looking for housing? i have some suggestions for that.

chidochido

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rebuilding
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sapotauro
    • View Profile
    • Email

I'd love to hear them...
Boalt 1L

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
How about suggestions on how to get in? :)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

I'd love to hear them...

what's your criteria and price range?

donaldduck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
During 1L, do students usually have schedules that require them to be at Boalt Monday through Friday? 

Also, do you know of any 1L's who managed to hold a part time job (and keep their sanity) while in school? 

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
A more serious question this time: Is there anywhere we can find info about the public interest scholarships and the new monies being raised, etc?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
A more serious question this time: Is there anywhere we can find info about the public interest scholarships and the new monies being raised, etc?

you should probably check out the financial aid page. you can catch a link from www.law.berkeley.edu.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
During 1L, do students usually have schedules that require them to be at Boalt Monday through Friday? 

Also, do you know of any 1L's who managed to hold a part time job (and keep their sanity) while in school? 

it really depends on your schedule, which will be assigned to you randomly unless you have requested to be in the family mod. well, that and your own preferences about studying. i prefer to study at home. my 1L year i was at school past 5 on some days, but i had just as many days when i was gone by 3.

i don't know. i think most people who work TA or something like that.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Just a little PSA for 1L's:

DO NOT spend all your money buying the required books at the bookstore on the first day. last year's 1L's will be eager to sell off their used books for half the price. you can almost always count on getting the books you need in the edition you need for no more than $40-50 a pop.