Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Boalt student taking questions about Boalt, law school in general, work, etc.  (Read 95464 times)

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
Are biglaw hours in London similar to those in places such as NYC? What is a typical workweek in terms of hours for you?

I have no basis for comparison with a firm in NYC. I haven't worked at one.

There's no such thing as a typical work week. When you're busy, it's insane. We're on a major deal right now and as a result I've been billing like a mad woman for the last four months, almost never leaving the office before 8 and rarely having a full weekend off. A colleague who started with me hasn't worked a single weekend and always leaves no later than six. BIGLAW anywhere is unpredictable. It really depends on the deals you're staffed on and the market.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

Phineas

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Since when did Berkley have a law school?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

I couldn't tell you. But Berkeley[/b] has had one since about 1894.

Phineas

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

I couldn't tell you. But Berkeley[/b] has had one since about 1894.

Sorry about that.  I always forget how to spell the names of TTT schools.  By the way, it's been about two years since you first posted this, and you still don't have a life?  Move on woman.

Phineas

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Are biglaw hours in London similar to those in places such as NYC? What is a typical workweek in terms of hours for you?

I have no basis for comparison with a firm in NYC. I haven't worked at one.

There's no such thing as a typical work week. When you're busy, it's insane. We're on a major deal right now and as a result I've been billing like a mad woman for the last four months, almost never leaving the office before 8 and rarely having a full weekend off. A colleague who started with me hasn't worked a single weekend and always leaves no later than six. BIGLAW anywhere is unpredictable. It really depends on the deals you're staffed on and the market.

Perhaps you could leave the office before 8 if you weren't constantly checking your two-year-old thread, living in the past.

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Why be an ass?

Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

Duchess85

• View Profile
Re: Boalt student taking questions about Boalt, law school in general, work, etc.
« Reply #886 on: February 01, 2008, 01:02:08 AM »
Why be an ass?

I agree; people are asking her advice so there is nothing wrong with her answering.
Emory Law Class of 2011!

chen guanxi

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Boalt student taking questions about Boalt, law school in general, work, etc.
« Reply #887 on: February 20, 2008, 02:50:41 AM »
Lest we forget.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Why be an ass?

I agree; people are asking her advice so there is nothing wrong with her answering.

I'm sad you're not going to Boalt, but CONGRATS on Emory. It's really a great school and is totally underrated, imo. My boyfriend is a grad, though, so maybe I am a bit biased. You will love Atlanta. It's absolutely my favorite city and I missed it like crazy when I was in CA. If you're not from there and need help with housing, etc,  let me know. But, to get back on topic, the placement from Emory is amazing. The school seems to have a tight relationship with a number of the better NYC firms and you always see a handful of top Emory grads going to places like Skadden, Weil, etc. You'll do great! Congrats again!

BABYCAKES

• View Profile
    • Email
Why be an ass?

Seconded.......PS, i'll be graduating either cum laude or magna next month from HLS.