Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Boalt student taking questions about Boalt, law school in general, work, etc.  (Read 95075 times)

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
Anyone taking anything fun in the spring?
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Ed Tom will probably call me and chastise me for saying this, but Boalt's CDO is generally utterly useless. You're better off talking to 2L's and 3L's.

Anyone with 2 first names is generally useless.

Is there any particular reason that you keep coming back to this thread?

Morbid curiosity.  Providing enlightenment.

I DO feel enlightened by this! I guess your whole existence is validated now!

Oh. Wait.

It's extremely presumptuous of you to think that your enlightenment somehow validates the existence of others.  That said, you're welcome.   :-*

boaltie

• View Profile
Somewhere over the course of the summer/move to california/beginning of 1L year, I lost track of my login info here.  I don't even remember who I was!

But.

I love being at Boat, er...Berkeley Law and I am grateful for all the help you have given me along the way.  I hope you can give me more help on three things:

1) I would like to know your thoughts on spring 1L classes.  I will be taking Contracts, Property, and WOA.  As you know, I "get" to take two elective.  Soooo....I'm thinking Con Law and CP2.  It would be nice to get those done, but that also sounds like a lot of work.  Thoughts?

2) What should a 1L do above and beyond the CDO office if they are looking for a firm job?  I would love to do any number of other things, but the $5 beers in Berkeley are going to break my bank if I don't make some money next summer.

3) What in the hell does the CLR write on consist of, and is there anything I can do (or classes I can take) to sharpen my skills for that write on?

Thanks!  And thanks again!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Somewhere over the course of the summer/move to california/beginning of 1L year, I lost track of my login info here.  I don't even remember who I was!

But.

I love being at Boat, er...Berkeley Law and I am grateful for all the help you have given me along the way.  I hope you can give me more help on three things:

1) I would like to know your thoughts on spring 1L classes.  I will be taking Contracts, Property, and WOA.  As you know, I "get" to take two elective.  Soooo....I'm thinking Con Law and CP2.  It would be nice to get those done, but that also sounds like a lot of work.  Thoughts?

2) What should a 1L do above and beyond the CDO office if they are looking for a firm job?  I would love to do any number of other things, but the $5 beers in Berkeley are going to break my bank if I don't make some money next summer.

3) What in the hell does the CLR write on consist of, and is there anything I can do (or classes I can take) to sharpen my skills for that write on?

Thanks!  And thanks again!

Do not take any spring electives that are more than three units. You have plenty of time so don't rush things. Those are bar classes and it helps to take them later,so that the stuff can be fresh in your mind for the bar. You'll need all the extra time you can get to work on WOA, which is only one unit but is about 5 units worth of work.

I covered the jobs thing a couple pages back. Basically, send your stuff out on the earliest allowable date.

CLR write on consists of an editing packet and writing a note, I believe. I was too concerned with going to Florida as soon as humanly possible after finals were over so I didn't participate in write-on. Can anyone else here chime in?

boaltie

• View Profile
Wow.

That rather hastily written series of questions to you came off more than just a little bit frighteningly gunner-ish.  Which really just isn't me... I would rate myself more of a back-of-the-room, partly down the hallway, kind of person.....

Thanks for the help, though.  They  have done away with 1L elective bidding and instead use Tele-Bears with a separate CCN for the 1L slots in the classes.  I'm not sure how the new system has worked out for everyone else, but in my case I ended up registering for a bunch of waitlists.  My schedule will be more a product of fate than design, I fear.

Have you been/seen/heard about Boalt's mini-facelift?  It's not stunning, but you *alumni* might be surprised what a coat of paint, a few remodeled bathrooms, and about 30 large-but-quasi-cheezy photos have done for the your old haunt!

RedButterfly003

• AOL Instant Messenger - redbutterfly003
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Boalt student taking questions about Boalt, law school in general, work, etc
« Reply #865 on: November 01, 2007, 02:12:22 AM »
Hey K! It's been forever since I checked in on this thread, but alas, I was drawn back like a mouse to cheese ;D...So I'm thinking about taking Leg (3 units) and M&A in High Tech (2 units) next semester. What do you think?

PNym

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Boalt student taking questions about Boalt, law school in general, work, etc
« Reply #866 on: November 01, 2007, 12:20:17 PM »
Wow.

That rather hastily written series of questions to you came off more than just a little bit frighteningly gunner-ish.  Which really just isn't me... I would rate myself more of a back-of-the-room, partly down the hallway, kind of person.....

Thanks for the help, though.  They  have done away with 1L elective bidding and instead use Tele-Bears with a separate CCN for the 1L slots in the classes.  I'm not sure how the new system has worked out for everyone else, but in my case I ended up registering for a bunch of waitlists.  My schedule will be more a product of fate than design, I fear.

Have you been/seen/heard about Boalt's mini-facelift?  It's not stunning, but you *alumni* might be surprised what a coat of paint, a few remodeled bathrooms, and about 30 large-but-quasi-cheezy photos have done for the your old haunt!

Out of curiosity, what's a definition of a gunner?

boaltie

• View Profile
« Reply #867 on: November 01, 2007, 06:36:03 PM »
A gunner?  A gunner is the kind of person who would ask a question like that.

;)

(Only teasing, I promise)

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #868 on: November 01, 2007, 06:45:13 PM »
Why doesn't Cal have an ED option? I wanna apply ED.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: November 01, 2007, 08:48:17 PM »
Hey K! It's been forever since I checked in on this thread, but alas, I was drawn back like a mouse to cheese ;D...So I'm thinking about taking Leg (3 units) and M&A in High Tech (2 units) next semester. What do you think?

I think that's very reasonable. Good for you for staying away from IP, ConLaw, and CP2.