Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Temple really in a bad area?  (Read 4122 times)

BoBo16

• View Profile
Is Temple really in a bad area?
« on: February 14, 2006, 06:37:53 PM »
Sorry for all the questions, but I was also wondering if anyone had visited Temple undergrad or the law school? I've heard comments that its in a bad area.. is this true? Also, where are the best artsy, safe areas to live in Phili? I've never been! Thanks a bunch!

BFC

• View Profile
Re: Is Temple really in a bad area?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 06:55:18 PM »
Only if you are allergic to knives.

If you are worried about you safety, philly probably isnt for you.

pandamafia

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 07:01:34 PM »
I grew up in North Philadelphia, where Temple is located, and it is very dangerous. North Philadelphia has a very high crime rate. Washington Square West, Rittenhouse Square,Society Hill, and Olde City are nice places to live in Center City ( which is the main part of Philadelphia). Olde City and Society Hill are expensive, Rittenhouse Square is less expensive and Washington Square West is affordable.

Washington Square West is also known as the "Gayborhood" and it's clean and in a better part of the the city. However, there has been an increase in crime in that area. WSW is also near Chinatown which is near a shuttle stop that Temple runs.

All the neighborhoods I mentioned above are near the 2 main subway lines that Septa runs. So transportation shouldn't be a big issue.

Outside of Center City, Fistown is the near artsy area but only parts of Fishtown. All the real artists got kicked out of Olde City because of a rise in rental prices.

Also there is always Manayunk, which is outside Philadelphia, it has all the charm of Olde City but much cheaper. There is transportation there too, but Septa isn't that great because they do not run as frequently as people would like.

P.S There is this rental company named William Penn Realty Group (WPRG) that works in the neighborhoods I named above and are gears towards the younger crowd. They are HORRIBLE landlords and their buildings are easy to spot because it would be the run down building sandwiched between the beautiful brownstones. They advertise on Craigslist a lot so beware. I had major rodent, trash, and service problems with them. They also recieved a bad report card from U Penn Students.

pcv

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 11:55:20 AM »
I would not live around Temple, since the areas around it is dangerous (though it has been getting better than it was, say 8 years ago).  You can get to Temple easily on the Broad Street Septa line from Center City.  However, the campus itself is fine, since it is heavily policed by Temple, and you should be fine if you just stick to the law school buildings. 

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 01:06:08 PM »
I'm a Temple ugrad.  I also have lived in four different Philadelphia areas (University City, Art Museum Area, Center City, and East Falls).  Temple is in a terrible area, but if you take the subway to school (which you should) it's right across the street from the stop and a safe half block walk.  Live in center city or, for cheaper rates, towards the east end of the art museum area (close to broad and spring garden) to catch the subway.

Zurichbr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 01:09:41 PM »
The worst.  Good luck.

michelleinsea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 03:44:53 AM »
old thread - I know, but I'm digging for info having never been in Philly and now that I'm considring Temple and won't be able to visit anytime soon.

Anyone have more feedback or opinions on Temple, the safety issue, etc.?  Anyone else going?

Thanks in advance!

Momo

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 06:51:10 PM »
Temple Law School is in the worst area of Philly. Don't walk alone at night--ever.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 09:33:20 PM »
mt. airy is a cool area that is cheaper than all the others listed.  it's a very liberal middle class area, so you'll see just about everything.  it's safe and convenient.  you can take the R8/R7 right to temple. 

oh, also, i think more students get accosted at penn than temple.  would you turn down penn? 
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

michelleinsea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 10:33:05 PM »
thanks for the feedback - and I will check mt.airy out. :)