Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will they find out? Retaking the lsat in june!  (Read 1563 times)

SkullTatt

Re: Will they find out? Retaking the lsat in june!
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 05:31:23 PM »
Okay, so now we have proven my point.  However, in my opinion it should all be irrelevant.  You want to be a lawyer, have some ethical standards.  Either take the #2 school or give the slot to someone that wants it and retake the LSAT.

Poor advice and it does not make sense for the individual applicant. It is not a matter of ethics to hold onto an acceptance until you have a better offer in hand. It is a normal part of the process. In fact, schools are partly to blame for people not withdrawing earlier than they otherwise could, since many schools don't announce scholarship awards until late in the cycle.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 06:04:35 PM »
What is poor advice?  It is the applicant's fault for not getting the LSAT score they wanted before applying.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.  I.E. get your #2 school as a safety while you decide to retake the LSAT again in hopes of doing better, but if you bomb, you can go back to your #2.  Life doesn't work that way.

Either you take #2 or you don't and retest.  It isn't advice, its the way it is.  Not telling the school would essentially be lying, but as Iago has stated, you can't even hide it, LSAC sends it automatically.
Attending GW in Fall '06

snikrep

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 06:12:36 PM »
What is poor advice?  It is the applicant's fault for not getting the LSAT score they wanted before applying.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.  I.E. get your #2 school as a safety while you decide to retake the LSAT again in hopes of doing better, but if you bomb, you can go back to your #2.  Life doesn't work that way.

Either you take #2 or you don't and retest.  It isn't advice, its the way it is.  Not telling the school would essentially be lying, but as Iago has stated, you can't even hide it, LSAC sends it automatically.

Your personal feelings on the subject are kind of irrelevant.

It would only be "lying" if the school somehow forbade retaking the LSAT - you will forfeit a deposit if you choose to not attend at a late date, but I don't see anything inherently dishonest in this approach (depends on the school's specific instructions).

Does anybody know whether retaking in June would even count towards the current admissions cycle?  I.e., let's say I retook it in June, got a 180 - would that score count towards the admissions numbers of the school I am attending, or would it only count for the next admissions cycle?

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 06:20:45 PM »
IntoVA:

Yes, it counts if you retake it for this cycle.  I.E. the 2005-2006 admission cycle year.  Congrats on UVA.

They aren't personal feelings.  Holding back information when you are asked to disclose it is lying.  Find me one school that says you can take another test and not submit the score to us after being accepted and I will keep my mouth shut.  You won't find one I bet. 
Attending GW in Fall '06

SkullTatt

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 06:26:09 PM »
You can't have your cake and eat it too.  I.E. get your #2 school as a safety while you decide to retake the LSAT again in hopes of doing better, but if you bomb, you can go back to your #2.  Life doesn't work that way.

I have not heard of any prohibition on re-taking the LSAT, unless it is part of a school's application which I have not read. If you "bomb," i.e. get a much lower score, then I wouldn't be surprised to see a school rescind your acceptance. But that is up to them.

Either you take #2 or you don't and retest. It isn't advice, its the way it is.  Not telling the school would essentially be lying, but as Iago has stated, you can't even hide it, LSAC sends it automatically.

I don't see how "that's the way it is." How did you come to that conlcusion? I was already accepted at like 5 schools when I retook the LSAT in February. They will get the test results and whether I've notified them in advance or not, it's not "lying" or "essentially lying."

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2006, 06:41:14 PM »
Before your post I didn't know LSAC automatically sent out the scores.  That being said, nothing is lying, I just meant in response to the OP regarding not telling them and trying to hide it.

Also, when you retook in February did you end up doing significantly better or worse? 
Attending GW in Fall '06

snikrep

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2006, 07:01:17 PM »
I would think if you did better a school would be much happier having admitted you - now they can report an even higher LSAT score to US News and get the credit, and if you choose to go elsewhere they get your deposit money.  If you bomb the test, either they could rescind your acceptance (I'm not sure if this happens?), or if they still let you come their US News numbers could take a slight hit.

SkullTatt

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2006, 01:42:27 PM »
I would think if you did better a school would be much happier having admitted you - now they can report an even higher LSAT score to US News and get the credit, and if you choose to go elsewhere they get your deposit money.  If you bomb the test, either they could rescind your acceptance (I'm not sure if this happens?), or if they still let you come their US News numbers could take a slight hit.

Yeah that is basically how I look at it. That is what seems logical.

doode

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2006, 01:19:48 PM »
I would check the apps your interested in. There might be special verbage on them. Just a thought. I've seen some pretty strange ones!