Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it ok to have one non-academic rec  (Read 864 times)

Bman

Is it ok to have one non-academic rec
« on: July 26, 2004, 05:32:23 PM »
All right, so here's my situation. I'm applying to law school straight out of undergrad (will be a senior next year). I currently have two academic recs that I am quite certain are strong (I have a good relationship with both instructors). For my third recommendation, which LSAC has already processed, I chose my supervising attorney in a legal internship I did last semester. I happen to know that he wrote me a very good recommendation (he told me what he wrote after he sent it in). In my legal internship, I wrote parts of briefs, did legal research, and generally did things that law students generally do (all of which was noted in the recommendation). So, I was wondering, generally the rule for undergraduate students is that academic recs are preferred. I already have two academic recs and the one I mentioned. I could probably get a third, mediocre academic rec to replace the very good, non-academic rec that I already have but I'm not sure that's a good idea. What do you guys think? If you send out three recommendations, is it better to have two good academic recommendations and one good non-academic recommendation or three academic recommendations, with one of them just ok?

nonobvious

• Sr. Citizen
  • 167/3.66
    • View Profile
Re: Is it ok to have one non-academic rec
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 05:42:11 PM »
That's totally fine. It doesn't matter whether 3rd recs are academic or not, they are extras-- basically icing on the cake.

And it probably won't be a problem as long as both academic recs are in to LSAC by the time you start applying, but from what I remember Montauk advises that extra recs be accompanied by a statement from the recommender specifying that what they sent in is to be viewed as an 'extra' rec, and that the adcom should only consider it if reading more than two recs is kosher with their policy. (This matters b/c adcoms start reviewing your file as soon as they have all your material plus two recs, and won't know to wait for a 2nd academic ref).
But you've got things lined up early, so that shouldn't be a prob.
"Flying is simple. You just throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Bman

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 06:51:30 PM »
Thanks for the reply, nonobvious. Could you just clarify one thing though:

My nonacademic rec does NOT have a disclaimer like the one you stated. But if all three recs are processed by LSAC before I send out my application than this does not matter, correct?

nonobvious

• Sr. Citizen
  • 167/3.66
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 08:56:26 PM »
Yes, that's what I was trying to say-- you should be fine  ::)
"Flying is simple. You just throw yourself at the ground and miss."