Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Full Ride vs. Better School  (Read 10699 times)

baum79

Full Ride vs. Better School
« on: December 24, 2003, 08:11:45 AM »
I have been accepted to Toledo Law School and Indiana University Law School, and Toledo has offered me a scholarship that pays for all of my tuition.  I like IU better because they have programs that I am very interested in and they are a tier 2 school, where Toledo is tier 3.  However, I am interested in criminal or international law (not very high salaries) and keeping my student loans to a minimum is also important.  I would think that which law shcool you attended does not matter in these areas of law as much it would in a  large corporate law firm, but just how much does it matter?  Is going to the law school of my choice worth $30,000+?  Has anyone attended, or known someone who has attended, either of these law schools?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

fungoking

• Play me some Buck Owens!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re:Full Ride vs. Better School
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 01:43:38 PM »
This opinion is that of a soon-to-be-1L, so anyone feel free to contradict.

I think, if money is a real concern, go to Toledo.  

1)Your first year and some of your second isn't going to be all that different no matter where you go.  

2)To pass a bar and start practice without 3 years worth of tuition to pay back is a good deal.  

3)As far as your interests, they may change.  If they don't, use your own initiative to find good summer study abroad/internships that deal with crim law and intl law.  Hell, you might even be able to find some real swanky stuff around Toledo you can do during the school year, like hang out in the Federal Public Defender's Office or the Solicitor's office.  I did this during undergrad.  When Washington got too expensice, I transferred to U of SC in Columbia, and got work as a State Senate Page.  The political contacts and experience I've been able to acquire since far outwiegh anything I could have gotten from working in some bureaucracy in DC

Again, just an opinion.  Congrats and good luck.

Anyway, if money is enough of a concern to you--for some people it isnt at all--i'd go where the money's at.  

dnw2007

• View Profile
Re: Full Ride vs. Better School
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 11:14:51 AM »
If money is a concern, then go where the money is.  You have a full ride- go for it! And congrats!

planejane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 12:02:39 PM »
Congrats on being accepted.

If it is a money issue, then you probably know which school is for you.  On the otherside, you have to go to a school you are comfortable with.  You want to be able to graduate in three years.  If you go to a school because of a scholarship and you don't really like its aura, then was it worth the scholarship?  Sometimes it may be worth the money to spend to go to a school you like and will be comfortable with.  Law school is a life time event.  You want it to be a rememberable experience as well.

Best of luck!

Christie

CaliforniaLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 02:32:53 PM »
Before you decide, you should look at the placement record for both schools.  In an ideal world, it wouldn't matter where you went because a person should be judged on their abilities.  However, law firms will judge you by the school you went to.  Ask each school how many of their students were employed in a law related position at graduation.  If Toledo is 25% vs. IU with 75%, then you have some thinking to do.  Do not go by the 9 months or 1 year after graduation figures, people may have taken less than desirable jobs due to their outstanding school loans.  Law school is not a goal; it is your stepping-stone to a law career.  Find out what kind of jobs each school’s graduates enjoy.