Law School Discussion

UK Bachelors and American law school

UK Bachelors and American law school
« on: February 14, 2006, 03:16:03 AM »
UK degrees are usually granted after 3 years, not the North American 4...how is this gona play out for American law schools? I believe the reason for the "early graduation" is that the A-Levels and various non-US systems prepare rising high school seniors for a college level that is equivalent to sophomore year in US colleges. LSE requires Americans to take a special entrance exam for admission whereas UK and Canadian students do not have to.

Lgirl

• View Profile
Re: UK Bachelors and American law school
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 06:17:25 AM »
It makes no difference. Some UK undergrad degrees are four or even five years long - it depends on the subject, but law schools in the US view them as equivalent to US degrees in my experience. Your degree might actually be advantageous from a diversity standpoint! I think you would have to include an addendum explaining the 2.2/2.1/First system though. And I think you're spot-on in what you say abuot A-levels. Where did you do your undergrad?

Re: UK Bachelors and American law school
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 08:05:43 AM »
I got my undergrad from Newcastle University, which of course is not registered with LSDAS. So when it came to law school applications I had to get an official transcript from Newcastle and have it sent to World Education Services to be "translated" into the 4.0 scale.

One word of warning - the first year of my degree didn't count towards my final grade, and let's just say I "took advantage" of that. But when it came to computing my US GPA, it counted. I got a solid 2:1 (and not far off a First) but because they used my first year grades my GPA was an unsatisfactoty 3.2. Thank goodness I got a 168 on the LSAT, so who gives....