Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Grant $ from FAFSA  (Read 814 times)

awdisch

• View Profile
    • Email
Grant $ from FAFSA
« on: February 14, 2006, 03:37:37 AM »
Okay, here's a question.  I have recieved a few acceptances with no scholarship offers.  Does this mean I wont be having any 'free money'(read: money I wont be paying back) from the law school school institution.  I guess to cut to the chase I'm asking this: Do schools give out need based grants and scholarships as a result of filing the FAFSA that have nothing to do with merit offers or government subsidies.  Thanks for any insight.

Kittyl30

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Grant $ from FAFSA
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 03:53:20 AM »
I heard schools only give out need based grants if you are like close to poverty a.k.a they are VERY hard to get
she says she's tired of life
everybody's tired of something..

Typhoon Longwang

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 12:07:22 PM »
Some schools require you to fill out additional paperwork (either their own or through another service like Need Access) before they'll consider you for need based aid; you'll want to check with the school.  Also, some schools don't offer merit based aid until a certain date (sometimes it's after the application deadline/file completion deadline).  For instance, University of Utah & BYU decide on merit-based aid in March even if you're already admitted.  Again, you'll want to check with schools if you're unsure.

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 10:48:01 AM »
Okay, here's a question.  I have recieved a few acceptances with no scholarship offers.  Does this mean I wont be having any 'free money'(read: money I wont be paying back) from the law school school institution.  I guess to cut to the chase I'm asking this: Do schools give out need based grants and scholarships as a result of filing the FAFSA that have nothing to do with merit offers or government subsidies.  Thanks for any insight.

As others have indicated, need-based financial aid varies from school to school.  If you are very needy, you probably will get some free money from some schools.  But as to whether that amount is based on the FAFSA or some other forms, once again, that varies from school to school.  Check out their websites - they can be informative on these issues.  I was excited to read this gem on the Suffolk website:

The major source of Suffolk Law School awards is the Trustee Grant. Trustee Grants are awarded based on financial need and do not have to be repaid. Students who file the required financial aid forms by the priority filing date will be automatically considered for grant monies from this fund. Applications received after the priority filing date will be considered for a Trustee Grant on a funds available basis. Award amounts vary.

So I've got fingers and toes crossed for a trustee grant.

GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?