Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need Access = Vague, Unclear, Stupid  (Read 501 times)

Law2k6

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009
    • View Profile
Need Access = Vague, Unclear, Stupid
« on: February 14, 2006, 03:18:56 AM »
The Need Access form stinks. There are tons of questions where I'm not sure what they're asking. For example, it asks about my parents: " Is this parent covered under the Social Security Retirement Plan?" Does that mean will they be covered WHEN they retire or are they eligible for benefits NOW? I'm sure when they retire they'll get benefits, but they're too young to retire now.
U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009

alliwini

• View Profile
Re: Need Access = Vague, Unclear, Stupid
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 05:17:07 AM »
I was just wondering the same thing... Did you figure that out?

Slow Blues

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 09:51:32 AM »
I think it means "now", as in are they receiving SS payments today. Presumably any U.S. citizen that is paying SS taxes should be covered when they retire.

dmb

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 04:33:34 PM »
I think it means "now", as in are they receiving SS payments today.

I'd disagree.  I think they want to know if your parent has or is in some way contributing to the SS system - whether it be through payroll taxes/employer contribution or self employment contributions.  If contributing now or in the past - they would then be covered by SS.

There are some instances in which people do not pay in to, and therefore are not covered by, SS.  They are typically covered under other plans (Fed Employ Retirement System, Railroad Retirement, etc).

I'm calling them tonight about something else - I can confirm this with them and let you know.