Law School Discussion

UNLV (full-ride) vs. Cardozo (no $$)

Re: UNLV (full-ride) vs. Cardozo (no $$)
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 10:44:18 PM »
dude you are so lucky...a full ride to sin city, that leaves ya enough to go play the slots and party at the Hard Rock Cafe.  Do it!

Seriously though, I am applying to UNLV and have not heard back.  Awesome school, great mix = more people, less lawyers means services are in demand.

please oh please let the gods make room for me at UNLV so that my acceptance letter can be sent to me...

L1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2006, 12:23:57 AM »
I'm currently a 2L at UNLV. I'd be more than happy to answer any of your questions as objectively as possible, just send me a PM.

As far as the cost of living is concerned, while it is dirt cheap to a Manhattanite, it is becoming rather pricey for the rest of us. Many of the high-rise condos are starting at $650K or more for a studio (and they don't even come w/ a place for a washer and dryer in the unit). The converted condos, aka former low-rise apts, are around $150K +.

Now as far as the legal market is concerned, I do not think that there is a glut of attys. Here's a good article that describes the LV legal market. http://www.swlaw.com/data/whatsnew/American_Lawyer_Cover_Betting_on_Vegas.pdf. In addition, there have been a few changes since the article was written. Currently, there is a wage war going on. When I started law school the large Vegas firms paid anywhere b/w $70-80K. Now, most of the large firms are paying $90K + b/c all of these out-of-town firms are moving in and driving up the wages to steal attys away. The highest paying firm pays $110K. The point is that the starting salary keeps going up every month and is becoming more and more like the CA legal market. (NY still pays more).

Vegas is a ton of fun. I have crazy stories that you probably wouldn't believe. Everyone has a "crazy Vegas" story of some sort it seems.

The weather is nice. The summers are sizzling. To be honest, though, I'm generally carrying a sweater with me b/c everywhere has their AC set to freezing.

In addition, there's great UFC fighting. (Tickets are expensive though). I've seen Chuck Liddell hanging out in the local bars twice now. He's super nice. There's also a lot of concerts, but mainly of the very commercial kind. Vegoose is a great festival that brings in a bunch of non-commercial types. Also, all the commedy tours stop here.

Again, if you have questions about the law school itself, don't be afraid to ask.

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2006, 10:08:32 AM »
Thanks so much for posting on this board. It is sometimes rare to find someone already in school willing to help out. Do you know anyone at the UNLV part time day program? I did all 11 of my apps in late December, realizing last week that I really limited myself to 3 very highlyranked schools and three Tier 4 schools (dinged at a few of my reaches...did too many out of my league). After looking again at Tier 3, I just couldnt imagine moving to Toledo or North Dakota. Long story short, I applied to UNLV part time because 1. I am afraid applying this week means I'm very late and 2. I didnt think my 3.4/151 would be competative enough for full time. I can see myself enjoying Vegas and coming from DC, cost of living appeals to me. Anyway! Do you think it might be easy to transfer to full time, provided I've got the grades? Also, the website doesn't have too many pictures (although the few they do look beautiful} but how are the facilities? Work load? Thanks again! :)

L1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2006, 07:52:48 PM »
Thanks so much for posting on this board. It is sometimes rare to find someone already in school willing to help out. Do you know anyone at the UNLV part time day program? I did all 11 of my apps in late December, realizing last week that I really limited myself to 3 very highlyranked schools and three Tier 4 schools (dinged at a few of my reaches...did too many out of my league). After looking again at Tier 3, I just couldnt imagine moving to Toledo or North Dakota. Long story short, I applied to UNLV part time because 1. I am afraid applying this week means I'm very late and 2. I didnt think my 3.4/151 would be competative enough for full time. I can see myself enjoying Vegas and coming from DC, cost of living appeals to me. Anyway! Do you think it might be easy to transfer to full time, provided I've got the grades? Also, the website doesn't have too many pictures (although the few they do look beautiful} but how are the facilities? Work load? Thanks again! :)

I think that it isn't too difficult to transfer from the part-time program into the full-time program. I know a few classmates who have done so. Their grades are pretty good though.

I think that our website sucks because they could have a ton of cool pictures, but they don't. The law building is really nice. It's only three or four years old. The technology inside the classrooms is awesome. They are now building a large multi-level auditorium and court rooms adjacent to the law school so that the Nevada Supreme Court can come and hold hearings here more often. The UNLV campus itself isn't the most beautiful, though.

The work load is probably what you could expect to find at most other schools. It's rigorous, especially when you have your appellate brief due and then have to argue it. Come finals, you'll downright hate life, but hopefully you'll see the light at the end of the tunnel. In general, though, I think that it is manageable. As a 1L you'll spend so much time studying your ass off. In your second and third years, you'll be much more efficient. As a 2L that's on law review and externs for a federal judge twice a week, I can honestly say that I'm bored on the weekends. I spend about 10 hours/week studying now. (Again, that wasn't the case last year though).

yiplong

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2006, 08:16:10 PM »
Just so ya know COL isn't as cheap as you might think.  My gf lives in Henderson(suburb of LV) and she pays 900 for a two bedroom and utilities are extremely high (probably because theres no water).  So its definately cheaper than NY but not that much.  Its a tough call but I would choose UNLV but I wouldn't like to live in Vegas. 

$900/month for a 2 bedroom is cheap by Brooklyn, NY standard, and by New York, NY standard, it is a steal. 

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2006, 07:20:46 AM »
Just so ya know COL isn't as cheap as you might think.  My gf lives in Henderson(suburb of LV) and she pays 900 for a two bedroom and utilities are extremely high (probably because theres no water).  So its definately cheaper than NY but not that much.  Its a tough call but I would choose UNLV but I wouldn't like to live in Vegas. 

Even by lowly Philadelphia standards, 900 for a 2BR is INSANELY cheap.  It's pretty much at the point where a 1BR in downtown Philly is now $900.00.

MrSmittie

• Rebel Law - why what happens in Vegas stays here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2006, 09:05:55 PM »
I just got in here today! I am happy!

Now the easy part - sell my house in Cal and transfer my job to Vegas! Nothing good comes easy (not in my life, anyway). I am so looking forward to this. Anyone else going for sure?

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2006, 10:34:06 PM »
that is awesome, congrats!

hope I get in...if so, party like it's the hard rock cafe in vegas & drop it like it's hot!  (j/k but I will be partying if I get letter from UNLV, congrats)

sarcastic1

• I've got the 1L blues
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2006, 10:08:46 AM »
MrSmittie, are you in state?

MrSmittie

• Rebel Law - why what happens in Vegas stays here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2006, 12:19:00 PM »
MrSmittie, are you in state?

Not yet. I applied PT and am planning to transfer with my current employer. If I show registrar proof of full-time employment (by July 1) I will be considered in-state.