Law School Discussion

UNLV (full-ride) vs. Cardozo (no $$)

RJR

UNLV (full-ride) vs. Cardozo (no $$)
« on: February 13, 2006, 11:49:55 PM »
If you had to choose between these 2, what would you do? 

I'm leaning towards UNLV because of the following:

1.  Lower cost of living.  For what I would pay in NYC, I could be paying mortgage on a condo or small house.
2.  Warm weather.
3.  Change of scenery.  Have been in NY pretty much my whole life. 
4.  And obviously, significantly less debt. 

I don't know a single person in Las Vegas.  I've never even spent more than 4 days there.  But part of me thinks I would actually like living out there. 

Am I crazy?   

jay kay

• Limp Bizkit Fan
    • View Profile
Re: UNLV (full-ride) vs. Cardozo (no $$)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 02:13:20 AM »
An admissions officer I met this year (not at UNLV) told me he had wanted to work bankruptcy cases in Las Vegas but decided not to because of special bar requirements.  I'm sure you could find something to do in Las Vegas and do it without taking on any debt.  Earlier tonight I made a post in which I imagined myself in a similar situation: t1 + full tuition + travel or t2-t3 + scholarship + local.  The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that the school that offers me the most money is the best choice for me.   

IvanTrbl

• ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 07:13:20 AM »
The bottom line is that you should go where you envision yourself practicing law (and living) 4 years from now.  There is a ton of opportunity at Vegas, one of the fastest growing cities in the US.  My recommendation is to take a trip there and analyze the city from a residency perspective (rent a car, check out properties for rent and sale, flip through the legal employment section in the newspaper, see what the school has to say, check out the nightlife... [well, we know that's not a problem!]).  Just understand that it will be VERY difficult to land an NYC Big Law job out of UNLV. 

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 08:46:20 AM »
UNLV is my dream school. 

I live in Las Vegas and got my undergrad at UNLV...I wish my GPA was a bit higher so I might have a shot in hell of going there...I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.  UNLV is a great school and it has brand new facilities.  A full ride is a great deal.  You would be getting a great education at the right price  ;)

Let me know if I can help or answer any questions.

sarcastic1

• I've got the 1L blues
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 12:29:14 PM »
OP, What are your numbers?

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 12:48:51 PM »
only law school in booming state= good job prospects. there is no glut of lawyers in vegas, unless you count the bankruptcy and annullment variety  ;) If I could leave the east coast, I'd love to settle down in Vegas and support myself on my poker career during law school. hahaha...

spud1987

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 02:03:01 PM »
Just so ya know COL isn't as cheap as you might think.  My gf lives in Henderson(suburb of LV) and she pays 900 for a two bedroom and utilities are extremely high (probably because theres no water).  So its definately cheaper than NY but not that much.  Its a tough call but I would choose UNLV but I wouldn't like to live in Vegas. 

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 12:25:06 PM »
Just so ya know COL isn't as cheap as you might think.  My gf lives in Henderson(suburb of LV) and she pays 900 for a two bedroom and utilities are extremely high (probably because theres no water).  So its definately cheaper than NY but not that much.  Its a tough call but I would choose UNLV but I wouldn't like to live in Vegas. 

900 for a 2 bedroom!!!!!!? Are you kidding? Come live in DC. I pay $800 a month plus 120 for cable and at LEAST 50 for utilities. This is for a 400 sq ft STUDIO. On top of that, I live on the DC/MD line, so I'm a agood 25 minutes from all the fun stuff. Wow, I had been considering applying to UNLV, but thought I might be too late. Guess what I'm doing tonight. (Cost of living is obviously not the only reason...but wow). :o

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 03:02:02 PM »
If I got a 2 BR for $900 in NY, I'd keep an eye out for my light bulbs, because the crackheads likely would be stealing them to smoke.

Dude if you had a two-bedroom for $900 in New York, the crackheads would go find a nicer apartment to loot knowing full well you had jack.

bobcat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 09:39:31 PM »
Vegas is getting more expensive, but its cost of living is still pretty good, given the perpetual economic boom of the area.  Each year, more and more of my friends from college (in Utah) are making the trek south to Vegas when they graduate, because the economy there is so good.  I don't know about the legal market specifically, but I imagine that the constant population growth will probably translate into constant legal growth as well. 

Another thing a lot of people don't know about Nevada: it's a tax haven for businesses.  Nevada has no corporate income tax.  More and more businesses, especially those based in the West, are setting up major corporate offices in Nevada. The biggest bank in Utah even runs a great deal of its loan operations out of its Nevada office.  That has to translate into more opportunities for business law.

Vegas is a fun place.  Great growth, plenty to do, nice weather (at least half the year).  The one thing I detest about Vegas is the sprawl.  It's very spread out, and you NEED to have a car.  Sprawl is hardly the worst thing in the world, but it might be something to consider.