Law School Discussion

Resume format/where to put in soft factors

Resume format/where to put in soft factors
« on: February 13, 2006, 09:10:00 PM »
Hello once again,

Sorry for posting so many questions. But I wanted to know if someone can provide me with a good example of a resume format. Some of my schools require one and I need to type it up ASAP. So if someone could let me know, i would really aprrecite it.

Also, is the resume the place I should list my soft factors? And if my soft factors are not related to my school should i still put them on. For instance, I'm started a group for battered women called VOICES. Its local nothing but, just women get to know of it through word of mouth, because most of them women are still with there partners and if they found out it owuld not be good. Can i put this as one of my soft factors or should i not. Please let me know.

Thank you in advance

Re: Resume format/where to put in soft factors
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 09:56:51 AM »
Yes, I'd def. put it.

My resume (designed as Ivy Guide says to) has four sections:

Education
Work Experience
Volunteer Work and Activities
    -  all the ECs you have, volunteer work, memberships, etc
Personal
    - interests, unique things, hobbies

Re: Resume format/where to put in soft factors
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 11:25:54 AM »
Your resume structure entirely depends on your strengths, and the requirements of the schools you are applying to. If you have little work experience, but lots of volunteering and community service, you should place that latter ahead of the former. Your education section should generally be fairly prominent, and up front.

Never list references on the actual resume unless specifically requested to do so. You can however indicate that "reference are available on request."

You may find that your "personal" section and community involvement section tend to overlap. No problem, combine them, and illustrate in more detail the different things that you've done.

On a final note, keep it to two pages in length and don't go into your high school years unless you were a superhero back then. It's not a CV, which is more comprehensive... it's a resume - keeping it short is in the name. Think of it as your own personal highlight reel.

I have a website that covers some of this stuff that you might find useful... even though it's more geared toward Canadian law schools, the resume stuff is the same.

Cheers,
Costa Ragas
Canadian Law School Admissions Web
http://www.clsaweb.com