Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Feb. Test Cancelers..  (Read 2442 times)

drack26

• View Profile
Feb. Test Cancelers..
« on: February 13, 2006, 08:53:13 PM »
Now that the cancel deadline is about to be upon us, I thought I would chime in for a brief moment. I am not canceling, since I thought I did pretty well (hopfully 170+), but I think that people on this board should not be encouraging it.

I understand that we are all trying to be friendly here, and that this isn't a place for people to try to get ahead of others, but if we're being realistic, people that cancel do nothing but hurt the entire population. Let me say one thing straight up: LSAC DOES NOT make the curve before administering the test. That is a load of BS. Sure, they have an idea of what the scale is going to be, and they have been giving this revised test for 15 years now, and can predict what questions will give students difficult, but about 5% of the scale is determined by what actually happens. That is the difference between a 95 for a 170, and a 90 for a 170. If people are canceling because they don't think they did well, then they are screwing the people that did do well.  If only people that did really well kept their scores, then the scale would be BRUTAL. That's why these types of boards are not permitted by LSAC.

I am not opposed to people canceling based on these threads because I just flat out don't care that much, but it definitely is a bad thing for the 'law school hopeful' population as a whole.  If you didn't do well on this test, don't think it was a bad test - you probably won't do better on another test. ALOT of people NEVER score as high as their practice tests, even after 2 or 3 LSATs.  Sometimes those scores just aren't meant to be. Keep your score, you did your best, and you can expect a fair score, unless everyone that did bad cancels on  you.  You should cancel if someinth went wrong.  Say, for instance, you misbubbled, or the proctor threw up on your test, or your timer broke. Those are reasons why your score would be lower. Not thinking quickly enough and putting wrong answers isn't reason to cancel. It's reason to reconsider a law degree.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, I understand that at a place like LSD, we are a small group that is probably not representative of the entire population, and we should try to help each other, which is why I'm trying to be objective as possible.  I was just venting about people that think that this test will somehow be radically different from future ones. If anything, I think this test will be more forgiving than other ones because of the 2 "tricky" games and the 1 long RC passage. So if you got alot of LR quesitons wrong, you might be saved be a lenient curve (at least more lenient than Dec.).  Just my two cents. Thoughts for or against me are always welcome. Sorry if I offended anyone.

lsatflunkie

Re: Feb. Test Cancelers..
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 09:02:11 PM »
Your honesty is commendable. While I know that I may not have scored where I need to be to get into the school I want, I am leaving it alone.  It is what it is.  There's always June.  I know June may not be an option for those that have taken it previously, but I agree that the only reason to cancel is if something bizarre occurred. 

vsavatar

• Sr. Citizen
  • None
    • AOL Instant Messenger - VSAvatar
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - VSAvatar
    • View Profile
    • Ken Burger's Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 10:16:44 PM »
I'm not cancelling either.  I stand by my test score, good or bad.  I put a good faith, honest effort into it and though it may not be the best, it's the best I could have done on that test.  I see no reason to hope for a better score on a later test.  Besides, I'd have to put off admission for another year, which I cannot afford to do.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=vsavatar

"They who would sacrifice essential liberty for a little temporary security deserve neither liberty or security." - Benjamin Franklin

tulpen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 10:24:36 PM »
ugh, it's an hour and a half before the deadline and I'm STILL obsessing about cancelling. I understand what you're saying but it's a hard issue for us retakers. I already have a good score but I retook because I wanted a shot at my reach school. However, since I know I didn't score my best--those LR sections killed me--I'm leaning towards cancelling so that I don't bring down my average. Decisions, decisions!

spud1987

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 10:56:00 PM »
ugh, it's an hour and a half before the deadline and I'm STILL obsessing about cancelling. I understand what you're saying but it's a hard issue for us retakers. I already have a good score but I retook because I wanted a shot at my reach school. However, since I know I didn't score my best--those LR sections killed me--I'm leaning towards cancelling so that I don't bring down my average. Decisions, decisions!

In your case I would cancel.  I think its a different story if you already have a decent score.  When you apply it would look that great to have a score only one point higher or worse.  Those are just my thoughts, good luck with whatever you do.