Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In at Willamette  (Read 892 times)

Wolfie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
In at Willamette
« on: February 13, 2006, 08:21:47 PM »
I just received my acceptance from Willamette today with a $10K scholarship (nice but it's on the low end?) This is my first acceptance so I'm excited. Can anyone tell me more about this school? Is it possible to negotiate for a bigger scholarship, since many with full rides or close to full rides would undoubtedly drop out?

cyberrev

Re: In at Willamette
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 11:07:29 PM »
what are your numbers if you dont mind me asking?  i'm still pending there

gointoLSnomatterwhat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 11:44:47 PM »
I just received my acceptance from Willamette today with a $10K scholarship (nice but it's on the low end?) This is my first acceptance so I'm excited. Can anyone tell me more about this school? Is it possible to negotiate for a bigger scholarship, since many with full rides or close to full rides would undoubtedly drop out?

no.

"V"

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 11:51:10 PM »
Yes, what are your numbers, as it makes a big difference. Willamette has been pretty generous this year, so I'm not sure if you'll have any luck getting more out of them. As for fighting for it, I think you can. I had a school do another look at my file and ended up with a scholarship where there was none (not great, so I didn't go).

Willamette offered me a full ride, but I've decided to pass on them. If it makes any difference to you, my letter of withdrawl should be arriving none to shortly. I ultimately decided on a campus out of state.

All I can tell you is the campus is beautiful. The law building is huge, off to one end of campus, and it's really beautiful. A small river runs through the entire campus, and its right next to the state building - so if you want into the Oregon government, you couldn't beg for better position. Definetly a great place to spend three years, and as I recall, their library never closes to students - which is a huge deal.

The were a little condescending to my wife, which dropped them on our list a LOT (nice wife, you stay at home while he goes to law school - sort of thing). And they messed up my appointment time by a DAY. But you can't hold the whole University responsible for one bad Admissions rep.

If you like Oregon, and want to stay in the area after graduating - Willamette is a really great choice.

Wolfie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 08:23:57 AM »
My numbers are about 2.82/157. I say about because I'm an international student from Canada and for some reason, my GPA calculation went up from one year to the next (screwed up calculation?) and I've taken LSAT 4 times with wildly fluctuating scores (one bad one good one bad one good). So take it for what it's worth. I submitted my application on Jan24th, so I'm really impressed by the turnaround time. I was fully expecting a letter saying thank you for submitting my application, so I was really surprised to know that I have been accepted.

So what's the procedure for trying to get more scholarship? Calling them up and seeing if I can get more before submitting my deposit or maybe later on before the second deposit? I don't think my numbers warrant more money, but I'm not eligible for financial aid, so I'm think it's worth a try?

Anyways, the school seems to have a pretty good 2nd/3rd tier school with a good reputation in terms of quality of education. Only thing I'm worried about is job placement coming out as they have quite a bit of competition in either Oregon or Washington.

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 02:14:44 PM »
How exciting :) I think it sounds beautiful... I have that same $10,000.00 scholarship deal and would also like to get a little more to reduce the loans. I may ask them for a bit more time and mention that I have other offers to see if it is possible to get more. Is this your plan as well?
It comes to this: Cleveland Marshall, Lewis & Clark
Waitlisted: Case

Wolfie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 07:35:06 PM »
Actually, I don't really plan to negotiate. I haven't heard of anyone who has successfully negotiated so I really don't think they give out any more.

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 07:36:12 PM »
I suppose, if you don't want to waste your time, that's a fine attitude :)

Whereas I am so obsessed, it is better than just spazzing at work all day. After all, it will be good practice for actual law!

PNW

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 08:00:23 PM »
Great rep. in Oregon.  A few caveats...they will not negotiate $$$ and can get a little pissy about it.  Willamette has a forced C curve....many of those fat scholarships disappear in year 2.  If you are doing the environmental law thing and not going T-14, go L &C or Vermont.

Oh... and on the scholarship info.  That came directly from the dean.  Check their attrition on LSAC.  If you go sub 2.0 at ANY time you are out on the street.  Just takes one really bad grade in your first year.

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 11:45:30 PM »
WOw... how does that work for them???