Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm 1/8 cherokee Indian: Does that count?  (Read 5884 times)

IvanTrbl

• Sr. Citizen
  • ouch?
    • View Profile
Re: I'm 1/8 cherokee Indian: Does that count?
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 06:41:18 PM »
I don't mean to put this in the Haterade section, but come on...

quote]

My great-great-great-grandmother was from Spain.  I guess I'm Hispanic. 

::)
"I spent lots of money on birds, booze, and fast cars.  The rest I squandered." - George Best!

mccapj2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 07:03:08 PM »
It depends on the rules of individual tribes.  Each tribe stipulates those rules.  However, the point of this question on an application (according to Bakke vs. UC-B) is to create a diverse class.  Personally, I think diversity on the basis of race leads to the types of stereotypes that racial leaders try to dissolve.  Of course, that might be because i'm a white oppressor.

petitschoque

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2006, 07:07:54 PM »
Of course, that might be because i'm a white oppressor.

Yes, I think you're on the right track :)

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2006, 07:32:15 PM »
From these responses I am clearly the only anthropologist who works with native americans. yes, you can claim your native american status, but there are many (many) exceptions to this rule. Let me spell them out for you, because the chances you qualify are slim, and the school WILL verify this. You need a Bureau of Indian Affairs card, which you may be eligible for. However, to be eligible varies from tribe to tribe. This variation depends on how the tribe classifies its own kinship system. Some count only those from either the matrilineal (your mother's side) or patrilineal (your father's side). And when I say your mother's side, I mean your mother's mother is the only eligible link to the tribe. No relative in this branch of your family tree? You're out of luck. If you don't have the BIA card yet, you're pretty much out of luck- this is a multi-year process to get on many tribal rosters and apply. In your specific situation, I think you are playing with fire. do you really want to explain to the bar why you claimed native american status even though you are not a tribal member? You will get eaten alive. FYI, Native Americans are the ONLY ethnic minority which requires proof for any education benefit. Why? Because you think for some reason you're a freakin cherokee princess because that's what your mama told you. The better possibility is that you are part black and your family told people they were part native american. Think I'm drinking the haterade? about half the cases my firm has gotten to prove anestry (particularly cherokee princesses have no affiliation whatsoever. I'd be ASHAMED to do what you are suggesting.

doode

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2006, 09:54:40 PM »
I’m of Irish decent and we were hated by EVERYONE when we go here. Why doesn’t that count?  “Irish Need Not Apply”

lsatflunkie

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2006, 10:01:45 PM »
I’m of Irish decent and we were hated by EVERYONE when we go here. Why doesn’t that count?  “Irish Need Not Apply”

I'm a natural blonde female with a decent sized chest- I'm hated everywhere I go, too----   :-*

doode

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2006, 10:04:44 PM »
I like you more every post flunkie!!!

I'm a natural blonde female with a decent sized chest- I'm hated everywhere I go, too----   :-*

lsatflunkie

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2006, 10:05:28 PM »
  LOL   :-*

OH-- aren't you female?   :-*

kingofspain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2006, 10:11:45 PM »
i'd have to say the op is crazy not to put that he is native american on his apps, why not take the free points?  i dont think AA is particularly fair or justified but if you can work it to your advantage why not?  i know i would.  remember no one is going to come check that you are a bona fide native american or if you have some sort of tribe card or whatever.  they just want to say x% of our class this year is this and that race etc.  they don't care whether you're 1/1,024th native american or if the florida state mascot is actually a portrait of you.

doode

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2006, 10:12:55 PM »
  LOL   :-*

OH-- aren't you female?   :-*

Yea ya goof but I can like girls in a non sexual way!! Shesh!

This place has gotten PC insane!