Law School Discussion

I'm 1/8 cherokee Indian: Does that count?

Re: I'm 1/8 cherokee Indian: Does that count?
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2006, 12:10:00 PM »
Law schools don't ask if you're a member of a tribe. They don't ask for proof of your ethnic background for admissions. I understand some scholarship programs and other NA specific programs ask for proof of NA ancestry, but law school admissions officers don't. To those who doubt this, have you ever heard of a law school asking for proof of NA heritage for admissions? Not for scholarships, not for a specific program, but for general admissions? I haven't, Anna Ivey says they don't, and it just seems like a PR nightmare if they required this for NA applicants but not for self-identified blacks/hispanics, etc.

That said, if they suspect you of fraud, it would be unpleasant at best. I would not self-identify as any ethnic group without a reasonable explanation.

Read the racial background question carefully, and think of how you'd defend your self-identification if asked.

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2006, 04:54:38 PM »
Law schools don't ask if you're a member of a tribe. They don't ask for proof of your ethnic background for admissions. I understand some scholarship programs and other NA specific programs ask for proof of NA ancestry, but law school admissions officers don't. To those who doubt this, have you ever heard of a law school asking for proof of NA heritage for admissions? Not for scholarships, not for a specific program, but for general admissions? I haven't, Anna Ivey says they don't, and it just seems like a PR nightmare if they required this for NA applicants but not for self-identified blacks/hispanics, etc.

That said, if they suspect you of fraud, it would be unpleasant at best. I would not self-identify as any ethnic group without a reasonable explanation.

Read the racial background question carefully, and think of how you'd defend your self-identification if asked.

he would say "my ancestors on my mother's/ father's side are native american and i identify with them".  then he'd get into a way better law school.

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2006, 06:57:47 PM »
I can't find the link right now (I'm at work and shouldn't be checking LSD either :) ) but someone should find the example of BigTex from last year's admissions pool. He was an LSD member who claimed Hispanic because his step-dad was Mexican (though he was not biologically related). BigTex was somehow found out for deceiving/misleading law schools on the assignment of ethnicity, and the school who found out called every school he got into and turned him in for fraud, if I remember correctly. He very nearly avoided having his admissions rescinded.

no, bigtex had a different situation, if i'm understanding correctly. He is adopted or otherwise grew up in a Hispanic family environment, and checked hispanic on his apps, and included an addendum to every school about his situation except for U-Texas, for some reason. UT (being his undergrad as well) called up other schools, presumably based on BigTex's Lawschoolnumbers profile, but this didn't end up doing much because he had included an addendum explaining the situation to the other schools.